pyscripter

Feature enhancement request - Filter DFM properties

I very much like the "Filter Explicit properties" expert.

However, in recent versions of Delphi (not sure when it started), the IDE inserts annoying DesignSize properties  that "pollute" the Dfm and the revision history.  It would be really nice if the expert was renamed "Filter DFM properties" and included the option of removing these DesignSize properties.

Edited by pyscripter
  • Like 3

I see Top/Left/Width/Height/ClientWidth/ClientHeight change a lot, too--and I'm pretty sure I don't move those components every time I open a form.

• Like 2

The filter for the Explicit* properties was contributed by Achim Kalwa and I have never looked closely at the code, so I don't know how it works and whether it might allow filtering other properties.

On 10/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, corneliusdavid said:

I see Top/Left/Width/Height/ClientWidth/ClientHeight change a lot, too--and I'm pretty sure I don't move those components every time I open a form.

This was a constant issue for me. Doing nothing other than opening a form and closing it would prompt me to save changes and update component positions in the DFM.

Until I started using DPI Unaware mode (bds.exe "/highdpi:unaware"). Now it never occurs.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JonRobertson said:

Until I started using DPI Unaware mode (bds.exe "/highdpi:unaware"). Now it never occurs.

Oh really!? I hadn't thought of that but I'm starting to use DPI Unaware mode more often because there are constant annoying font size changes almost every other time I click on something or pull down a menu. Here is definitely another advantage.

I was talking to someone the other day about this too. I had thought about creating an IDE add-in to effectively "lock the form," where it ignores all those "accidental" changes. I think it would be really useful to also ignore things like active tab in the tab control, etc. Usually when I'm submitting changes in source control I only want to submit the minimum changes for the fix I made, but then I want to make sure that that subset works, so I have to revert unneeded changes, test that code state, and then submit it. So a filter or lock would be really helpful.

• Like 1