Sign in to follow this  
FPiette

On the use of Interposers

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Correct, that's why you close the IDE before you switch the branch

I usually close the project only :classic_smile: , but I would indeed close the IDE if I had to exchange my design packages, which is another point to avoid them.

(Sigh! Sometimes I miss the automatic branching in NNTP readers...)

49 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

have one TStringList that fixes it all, and provide all basic, COMPLETE functionality.

And that is why SRP goes down the drain, cyclomatic complexity increases, potential bugs increase, stuff gets broken - mostly in such swiss army knife classes. And what is complete - that differs for everyone.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

(Sigh! Sometimes I miss the automatic branching in NNTP readers...)

Yeah. It's amazing, given how far web software has come, that web forums (fora?) still can't match 20 years old newsreaders. Sure, there are some things a forum does better (rich content for example) but I still prefer newsreaders.

(let's see how many times we can branch this thread 🙂 )

15 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

And that is why SRP goes down the drain, cyclomatic complexity increases, potential bugs increase, stuff gets broken - mostly in such swiss army knife classes.

Was just going to write something similar. Most of the hassle when working with legacy projects are caused by these kind of classes.

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

Yeah. It's amazing, given how far web software has come, that web forums (fora?) still can't match 20 years old newsreaders. Sure, there are some things a forum does better (rich content for example) but I still prefer newsreaders.

It's the same with email programs: 30 years ago, every Fidonet reader / editor (but in particular GoldEd) was able to follow specific reply threads in echo and netmail. I know of no email program today that does this properly. (Yet another branch -> down Fidonet memory lane. 😉 )

And don't get me started on quoting.

@Stefan Glienke

The BOM fix is a perfect example of what Im talking about.

Not too many functions in one class,  but a class that does its job right.  

3 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

I really don't like to have  a  TStringListF for right file handling, a TStringListS for right stream handling, a TStringListKV for right Key/Value handling.

Files are a special case of streams. And they are orthogonal to collections of strings. A string list is the wrong class for key/value pairs. 

I don't think you need string list interposers for any of these things. 

• Like 1