Dalija Prasnikar

VCL and VCL styles - bugs and future

Posted (edited)

To avoid flooding another thread with unrelated posts about VCL quality and bugs, I have opened this topic for discussion about VCL in general and VCL Styles.

First, I would like to respond to comment made by @Attila Kovacs

I'm chanting since ages that VCL is practically abandoned by Emba.

VCL is not abandoned, not even close. Maybe it is not receiving too many new features as people would hope so, but it has more to do with its maturity than anything else. FMX (is) was in frenzy development cycle, only because it didn't have the needed features VCL already had, and it still does not have all. So it may have seemed that FMX is getting all the love and attention, but that was not the case.

Many new Windows related features introduced since FMX has come to play, are still VCL only. 

Keep in mind that IDE is based on VCL, and I don't see that changing in foreseeable future. VCL is evolving and it will continue to evolve. It is not that FMX is new better, improved framework mean to replace VCL for all purposes, it is framework with completely different architecture and it covers different use cases. While some functionality certainly overlaps, and there are (Windows only) applications where both VCL and FMX can be chosen, there are also applications where VCL is far better (and sometimes, even only viable) choice.

VCL Styles are buggy, they have been buggy since they were introduced in XE2. But, they are now part of the IDE. That means two things. First, IDE is now suffering from some bugs, but it also means that those bugs will get fixed sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, not all bugs can be solved overnight, and the more specific, reproducible bug reports there are, the higher are chances that those bugs will get a fix.

If you have any filed VCL bug reports you might want to share, please do so. 

Edited by Dalija Prasnikar
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So you just gave the things an indian name "not receiving too many new features as people would hope so", and telling us that its evolving but only things getting fixed which are part of the IDE, and mentioning "overnight" fixes and "mature" but buggy since XE2. That was a rollercoaster to read.

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

So you just gave the things an indian name "not receiving too many new features as people would hope so", and telling us that its evolving but only things getting fixed which are part of the IDE, and mentioning "overnight" fixes and "mature" but buggy since XE2. That was a rollercoaster to read.

There are two separate things here. VCL and VCL Styles. You said that VCL is being abandoned by Embarcadero and that is simply not true as there is a huge difference between "not receiving too many features" and being abandoned.  Also by "not receiving too many features" I definitely didn't want to say it barely received any. There were numerous features introduced in VCL since XE2, some were VCL only, some were both VCL and FMX. 

The part with bugs and IDE and "overnight fixing" is strictly related to VCL Styles. Only introducing styles to IDE exposed how buggy they really are and how much fixing they need. And that amount of fixes cannot be made overnight.

VCL is mature framework. I never said that for VCL Styles. VCL Styles were never mature, they are just feature that was never properly finished in the first place.

I hope this is more clear now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

VCL Styles were never mature, they are just feature that was never properly finished in the first place.

Although Vcl.Styles is not mature.  I would say it is usable.   The Delphi IDE is a proof of that.   I have been producing PyScripter with Vcl.Styles for the last five years, and I had no issues that could not be overcome.   And now you can have per monitor aware, styled Delphi applications.

And since this this discussion started about flicker, there are ways of working around that.  The Delphi IDE and PyScripter have minimal flicker.

The great thing about Vcl is that applications developed almost 20 years ago, can still work well and look modern,  just by recompiling pretty much the same old code.  I have mentioned this before, just compare to the Microsoft Desktop application landscape.  A new framework is introduced every 3-4 years, mostly incompatible with the others:

- Visual Basic with ActiveX controls

- C++ with Windows API

- WinForms

- WPF

- Silverlight

- Xamarin

- UWP

- WinUI

- MAUI

- Project Reunion

- etc.

Where would you be if you invested in Visual Basic and ActiveX controls for example?  Ironically, you can still use ActiveX controls in Delphi if you so wish.

Edited by pyscripter
  • Like 3

Exactly that's why we wish VCL would be threaten a bit better. We don't need fancy calendar components every year, just a solid base where the developer doesn't have to invest hundreds of hours to track down bugs, creating workarounds and hoping the fix proposal will be taken over.

For example, if you have theming, and one single bug makes it look dumb, you don't have anything.

If you have HDPI support, but then you have to patch it for yourself and keep syncing the changes with the new releases, you won't be happy.

If you have Raise, you are very angry right now.

God bless the 3rd party developers for making professional components and making possible to live the RAD feeling.

• Like 1