Juan C.Cilleruelo

Delphi 10.4.2 Right Click over a word -> Find Declaration, Not working.

9 hours ago, Jud said:

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators. " but I have no idea what JIRA is.

Jira is the system portal thet is used (from the wikipedia: Jira (/ˈdʒiːrə/ JEE-rə) is a proprietary issue tracking product developed by Atlassian that allows bug tracking and agile project management).

It will take user user name, not your e-mail. 

https://quality.embarcadero.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Logging in:

On 3/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, Jud said:

I've had problems with it, off and on, for the last few versions.  Seems like sometimes a build would fix it.  Sometimes going to another project and back would fix it.  But tonight it stopped working for me completely and nothing I tried (including deleting the DSK file) would fix it.

My experience exactly as well.

Can't figure out a pattern either, gets annoying at times. I seem to have the problem more with 10.4.2 than 10.4.1 (but 10.4.2 fixed a lot of other problems).

4 hours ago, BruceTTTT said:

My experience exactly as well.

Can't figure out a pattern either, gets annoying at times. I seem to have the problem more with 10.4.2 than 10.4.1 (but 10.4.2 fixed a lot of other problems).

Yes.  I don't know why or when it happens.  I don't think I ever had the problem with 10.3, which is why I still also have 10.3 on my desktop.  When the 10.4.x IDE isn't working, I have to go back to 10.3.  Of the 10.4 versions, if I recall correctly, 10.4.1 BEFORE the patches worked well.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:50 PM, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

Always work. I only changed to version 10.4.2. No other change. 

Embarcadero doesn't need your excuses!  He has his own ones!

Same here, what was working on prev version now not always works. When it doesn't work the IDE pop up a search dialog to select the identifier to be searched...

Edited by Pierangelo Dal Ben

I haven't had any problems with Find Declaration since I got 10.4.2 (I had problems with earlier versions.  But Refactor/Rename is still not working at all.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

I haven't had any problems with Find Declaration since I got 10.4.2 (I had problems with earlier versions.  But Refactor/Rename is still not working at all.

Refactor/Rename did not work for me too. It started to work properly after installing some Windows updates, including optional ones (including KB5000842).

I switched to 10.4.1. and this code complete, ctrl-right click is a nightmare again. Very slow or it doesn't work at all. I also switched back to Classic Code Insight and indeed you get a wait cursor every few seconds. I thought that these very important IDE issues would be solved by now. I rememberthat this issue was already many Delphi versions ago. (XE versions)

On 3/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, Josep said:

I have the same problem, finally I switched to "Delphi (Classic Code Insight)" and it works fine.

But now it's a bit annoying that after doing a "Find Declaration" in the Code Editor, the cursor every two seconds shows the hourglass. :classic_sad:

image.png.b2e1d13915ddeda7233da29897a5e9a0.png

Same for me. Code insite with LSP is not working well on large projects group. Reverting code insite to Classic Code Insight is working better, at least on finding declarations...

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Have you applied the most recent patches?

yes applied all patches but with LSP the code inside is not working well, mostly IDE can not find declarations, while the classic Code Insite can.

Yes, I applied the two patches to 10.4.2 earlier this week.  Find Declaration is now working for me.  Refactor/rename is not working at all.

If I do "Find declaration"or CRTL-click and the editor jumps to another unit then I don't see the caret anymore and it is hard to see to which line it has jumped to.

Only when I use the keyboard-arrows then the caret appears again. If the editor jumps within the same unit the caret stays visible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_navigation

On 3/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

Delphi 10.4.2 Right Click over a word -> Find Declaration, Not working.

Does anyone note this problem? Or is it only my problem?

Never works. I've tried with existing files in the uses clause, with units in the path and more.

The only occasion in that works is when the Declaration is in the same file. 

Same here. Do you have DevExpress Units in your uses? I see this problem only when those units are in use. In small projects its working but not in bigger ones.

I do NOT have DevExpress units in uses.

LSP simply does not work well yet in any sort of complex scenario. I wrote to EMB support about certain things not working with LSP mode and worked in Classic mode and they wrote:

Although several issues related to the LSP server were included in the Sydney 10.4.2 update, several additional issues remain but are slated to be addressed in a future release or update.

Examples of open defects affecting LSP:

New LSP does not recognize newly build classes.
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-31922

LSP not recognising subtype alias
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-33546

LSP doesnt show errors
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-33060

The Code Insight using LSP work only for small "hello world" applications.
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-33403

Here are a few details which may affect Code Insight/Find Declaration:

1) It only works effectively on the first project in a project group, so if you have a project group with several projects, it is best to open just one project at a time.

2) When you see [Calculating...] it means that the LSP server is working and indexing, it's best to click elsewhere and then try again.

3) if you see an error 'cannot find file XXXXX' even though you are in the file in the IDE, it means the file cannot be found in the index database, so the LSP server still needs time to index it.

• Like 2

I don't know what LSP is, but thanks.

"Go to declaration"... i would not claim having worked in any version of Delphi or setup when this has worked 100%.

But nowadays it is mostly unusable to me.

First Crtl+Click... wait... nothing.

Then hoover, wait for "tip", ah, it cannot find the unit.

Then on to 3rd party finders.

They work better but... a lot of different menus and keystrokes. And some needs maintenance like re-indexing.

Sigh...

On to the help system. On-line there are 404's, build-in LOTs of other problems. Not just finding a page...

Sigh again...

Then, "only option left", read-through the uses blocks, guess at what unit it is, right-click "open file at cursor", the Ctrl+F. Nope... some other unit.

Ahhh...

Try OmniPascal i VC, works a bit better, but it's the same compiler/LSP under the hood...

Use Ctrl+Shift+F in VC (for the whole C:*.pas;C:*.dfm) now i have 5 versions of the identifier and have to figure what one i use...

This functionality is maybe not "KEY" but when it works one saves so much time and frustration!

Emba should put some special focus om this, IMHO.

Arghhhh!

The problem is relevant for Delphi 11 Alexandria as well. Occurs randomly. I noticed that this problem occurs more often on large projects (a group of projects, several bpls, hundreds of thousands of lines of code).
Also "Find" (Ctrl+F), "Search for units" (Ctrl+F12) sometimes stop working. To fix this, I close the project group, then I open the project group.

unfortunatelly, RAD "11.2" still bugged in many points!

Frequently I have that "close/open" (same that simple project with 1 form 1 unit) because the "LSP" or "Code Insight" its basic functions... like: show properties on a classes, after any other problem (for example: a command wrong writed, and later fixed)... then the code-completion does not works anymore!... needs close/open the project!!!! it's very boring

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

5 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

unfortunatelly, RAD "11.2" still bugged in many points!

Frequently I have that "close/open" (same that simple project with 1 form 1 unit) because the "LSP" or "Code Insight" its basic functions... like: show properties on a classes, after any other problem (for example: a command wrong writed, and later fixed)... then the code-completion does not works anymore!... needs close/open the project!!!! it's very boring

Killing LSP should be enough: https://www.delphipraxis.net/1512626-post2.html