Geoff88

Delphi 5 Printing

Is anybody aware if Win 10 has changed its API in regard to printing?  My flagship program has been running for 20yrs but suddenly 2 customers who have purchased new HP printers have found they cannot print from it.  Then yesterday another custome found they could not print to an older Canon printer despite loading the newest drivers and also despite other programs being able to print.  Has everybody moved over to GDI printing? and if so is there a Delphi 5 solution?

Well, how are you printing at the moment, if not using GDI? And GDI printing must be like 30 years old now. 

• Like 1

TPrinter/TCanvas is GDI printing.

It's likely that there are bugs in TPrinter in Delphi 5 that has since been fixed. I seem to recall that there were quite a lot of them. Buffer overflows and whatnot.

What has happened is probably that your application has been using GDI in a way that was invalid but was worked around by Windows and now they've stopped working around it.

• Like 1

Thanks for those inputs.  From what you have said, and since the program is working quite happily on many other computers including the development machine, I have a suspicion that it may be the drivers and not Windows after all.

Posted (edited)

@Geoff88:

ShellExecute(Application.Handle, PChar('print'), PChar('A:\Path\to\a\file\to\print.pdf'), PChar(''), nil, SW_HIDE);

you can let windows handle everything with that.

this would open whatever programm is associated to print that file.

//edit

if you want full control, customized-printing-in-delphi, here you find everything you need.

Edited by KodeZwerg