gioma

Delphi 11.3 : FORSAKEN

2 hours ago, gioma said:

The only patch for Delphi 11.3 was released in April and they haven't released anything since.

After a little over a year, Delphi 11.3 was left to fend for itself.

Embarcadero's policy so far has been to release new versions and not update older versions.

Delphi 11.3 is the 3rd update for Delphi 11 (as opposed to the 10.x versions where each point version was a new release), so there have been updates and each of them fixed some bugs (11.0 was so bad that I didn't even want to spend the time for a GExperts release until 11.1 came out.)

I'm not disagreeing that there is a lot of room for improvements, though. I'm not using Delphi 11.3 for production because it isn't stable enough in my environment.

5 hours ago, gioma said:

Visual Studio 2019 is still getting patches, it has been getting patches for at least 4 years.

Comparing Microsoft and Embarcadero is pointless. Microsoft is supporting an ecosystem with their development tools that makes then tens of billions of dollars. Embarcadero is a tiny company selling an IDE that has to pay for itself and profit on its own.

5 hours ago, gioma said:

After a little over a year, Delphi 11.3 was left to fend for itself.

Well, 11.3 is in fact the third binary-compatible update to 11. At some point they are going to move on.

5 hours ago, gioma said:

This policy is unacceptable to me, because often subsequent versions not only have new bugs (due to new features), but also carry bugs from previous versions that were never fixed.

If the new updates do not provide a net benefit to your development, don't renew your subscription, and tell the sales person why

What else can you do?

Edited by Brandon Staggs

2 hours ago, Brandon Staggs said:

If the new updates do not provide a net benefit to your development, don't renew your subscription, and tell the sales person why

What else can you do?

Hard to do when phone numbers lead to full messages or simply when other sales reps are "poaching the order" with invalid phone number.  If an order is paid early or in cash probably should be adjusted.  The email of invoice does not have mail address preventing mailing a signed invoice back. Is improved that the poach operation is before renewal offer is sent.  Several years before deals were sent after paying renewal offer.

I think the company should treat subscribers as in a guild.  This guild probably not as good as dock workers(stevedores) or longshoreman (operating engineer) guild would cover the senior members with a small stipend.😀 

14 hours ago, Brandon Staggs said:

What else can you do?

Move to a production Environment which is:

- More affordable (read for more less expensive)

- More supported

- Far more developers worldwide

- More 3th party components/development

- Developed with a longterm vision, not a "grab as much money as you can" vision

Only thing whats holding us back is the transition to a whole new environment, we probably should move from DB also (because we're "locked" to Interbase at the moment).

But we'r getting there, more and more Management thinks with us, so gonna see wich new projects can be (partly) be done in a new development ecosystem.

It's a pitty with me (with me Colllegue) think that Delphi (or better Pascal) is one of the most practical/readable dev languages whilest compiling one of the most fastes executables (win32).

(I started with TurboPascal 5.5, good old times 🙂 ).

The sneaky way how EMB moved the subscription from backwards support (whats was the promise when we started with it) to the only fixes in new releases (with new bugs) was/is really a stab in the back to developers.

It's really a product of this century, "how to get as much out of our customers with the least effort", lock and squeeze.

The example of not getting the LSP (codecompletion, error in sigth and others) in order in many years is the perfect example for this. 

Maybe it finally fixed in version 15.xxxx and we are tenthousands of dollars investment in the product (as customer) further down the road.

Now i go back to work 🙂 , pretend to be happy with 11.3, which i have to start half of the times of his predecessor.  

[edit]

It's a feeling like, paying for a new Mercedes E series but driving a 20year old Ford Ka.

Edited by mvanrijnen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mvanrijnen said:

Move to a production Environment which is:

- More 3th party components/development

Only thing whats holding us back is the transition to a whole new environment, we probably should move from DB also (because we're "locked" to Interbase at the moment).

Just wondering - this new production environment with more 3th party components does not support Interbase, and so you cannot move?

20 minutes ago, Vandrovnik said:

Just wondering - this new production environment with more 3th party components does not support Interbase, and so you cannot move?

It's one of the (many) main reasons, at the moment,  (aside Costs/Investments & Time) not to move to other Development environment, yes. 

There's a lot of code in triggers etc, which is a factor not to move to other database, at this moment. 

Of course is moving to an whole other platform bringing a lot of costs and time, 20years of development in the main application here, 

it's not that we have that written to .Net (for example) in 6 months, probably will take years.

okay Only thing was a bit overdone 😉

Edited by mvanrijnen

DO NOT INSTALL DELPHI 12 ON YOUR PRODUCTION PCS!!

this is the result:

image.thumb.png.fe4d08a3ab8a816b80ce6216533b603f.png

RAD STUDIO 11.3 KO

• Confused 1

I have had something similair. The solution was to  rename the D12 folder started Delphi 11.2 and after that I can start both of them. 

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I have had something similair. The solution was to  rename the D12 folder started Delphi 11.2 and after that I can start both of them. 

Could you explain better what I should do? Thank you

34 minutes ago, gioma said:

Could you explain better what I should do? Thank you

In my case I've renamed the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\23.0" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\!23.0" started Delphi 11.2 Closed it, renamed back the folder since then I can start both versions.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, gioma said:

DO NOT INSTALL DELPHI 12 ON YOUR PRODUCTION PCS!!

I remember the last time when I did this, that was in the age where performant VM's where not yet everywhere available.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

I remember the last time when I did this, that was in the age where performant VM's where not yet everywhere available.

More than ten years ago, right? Daily snapshots plus snapshots before an installation are the norm. And everyone who has ever whined about something broken in his "production environment" after installing this or that has gotten an earful about why they don't work on virtual machines. So one would think this particular issue should have become a no brainer...