TimCruise

How do you acquire "Pictures" to be used in your project?

It goes without saying that graphics, pictures and media enhance user experience when using software.

So from where do you acquire graphics and pictures for your projects?  Do you hire digital artists?  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by TimCruise

12 hours ago, TimCruise said:

Do you hire digital artists?

No, i try to get things acceptable. I have a licence for SVG icons (Axialis).

Sometimes i have to change an icon.

Not many "media" thingies (it is back-office stuff) but it needs to look crispy and sharp.

Problem is as a developer/coder i am an "a-type", not being an "artist" sometimes i get very frustrated.

If you are writing something flashy and commercial, imho, you should have access skilled people.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, TimCruise said:

Do you hire digital artists?

No, there are many free or inexpensive places to get icons and packs of standard images for small and simple use. Here are some:

All of these have free samples or restricted plans along with a variety of pricing plans for heavier use or higher resolution images.

• Thanks 1

Nowadays, there are so many media file formats.

Which one should I choose for cross-platform development?  :classic_huh:

• Picture?
  • Short animation?
  • long movie?

iconfinder and similar. "Font awesome" is very nice as well for mobile and web graphics, considering the current minimalistic monochrome fashion.

For actual images, I usually try a google search that starts with "image creative commons" then a description of what I am looking for.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Pictures or icons? Kind of a big difference. 

Both are needed.  :classic_smile:

8 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

iconfinder and similar. "Font awesome" is very nice as well for mobile and web graphics, considering the current minimalistic monochrome fashion.

I think minimalist icons mean faster download, right?  :classic_laugh:

12 minutes ago, TimCruise said:

I think minimalist icons mean faster download, right? 

Well, with all these tons of framework scripts, ads, trackers, when just an empty Google page weights 500 kB... lower size seems not something they care about

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal
  • Haha 1

How about long movie?

Which file format should be used across every OS platform?  :classic_huh:

Edited by TimCruise

This one from IEEE is more authoritative

https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-news/trends/8-best-video-file-formats-for-2020/

You should choose a file format based on your video quality requirements. The video should achieve the required quality, but no more than that. High-quality videos are hard to download, convert, share and manage. Plus, you need to take into account how you want to view the video files. Not all browsers, programs, and devices can play a specific video format. 

Before choosing a video format, consider the following cases:

• For online videos choose a file format that most web browsers support. This way, your video will be played natively on the browser. MP4 and WEBM are browser compatible video formats.
  • For home video recordings, choose a format with high quality video good chance of being usable in the future. Open source file formats are more future-proof than proprietary formats that are controlled by enterprises. MP4 or AVI formats are a good fit for that category.
  • For Windows applications, choose a format that is compatible with Windows. WMV is a good choice In this case.
  • Like 1

Don't forget codec licenses and patents. GIF was very nice (animation in 90s!) but virtually failed for application in software because of dumb patents. So it's wise to choose opensource formats.