DelphiUdIT

Rad 12 Beta - Link to News

4 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

It looks to be one of the most underwhelming releases I've seen in a while.

:classic_blink:

Underwhelming featurewise might just mean they focused on fixing bugs. I could live with that. Many of the features introduced in the recent releases didn't really matter for me personally.

One can hope ...

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 3

From a C++ perspective there are some really positive advances being talked about for version 12. But we wait to see (read the disclaimer) how much actually makes it into the official release. Delphi users may feel C++ is not important. I think the opposite. For the long term survival of the product Embarcadero must increase their customer base and having a good Firemonkey multidevice solution based on C++ is one obvious way to help achieve this.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, dummzeuch said:

Underwhelming featurewise might just mean they focused on fixing bugs.

Usually each release comes with a bunch of bugs fixed, and a new set of bugs released into the wild. I do think the product is slowly getting better though. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 12:35 PM, DelphiUdIT said:

I haven't seen any blogs or public news about Rad 12 Beta (Yukon) yet (except directly from Embarcadero).

https://delphiworlds.com/2023/09/yukon-is-coming/

https://dalijap.blogspot.com/2023/09/coming-in-delphi-12-disabled-floating.html

https://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2023-09-yukonbeta-stringliterals.html

MVPs were given permission to start blogging just a few days ago, but they have to be approved by Embarcadero before they're published. so I'm sure there will be more blog posts coming soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, Lachlan Gemmell said:

The most underwhelming release ever was Delphi 7. 

However,

Used by more Delphi developers than any other single version, Delphi 7 is one of the most successful IDEs created by Borland. Its stability, speed, and low hardware requirements led to active use through 2020.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

However,

Used by more Delphi developers than any other single version, Delphi 7 is one of the most successful IDEs created by Borland. Its stability, speed, and low hardware requirements led to active use through 2020.

That's one interpretation but just because the Wikipedia page states it (unsourced, incidentally) doesn't make it so.

Another is that it's the most pirated version (the last version without license activation). Yet another is the self-goal of Delphi 8.

It's impossible to know.

Funnily, if you follow the edits on the wiki, the section you quoted at one point stated:

Delphi 7 is one of the most appreciated IDEs created by Borland because its stability, speed and low hardware requirements. However, as in all Delphi versions there are a huge number of known bugs that Borland never fixed. The task of fixing those bugs was left to Delphi community (see projects as Kylix Unofficial Patch and the Reviving Delphi project).

• Zip support improvements.

I wish this was explained further. Maybe we will finally get TZipFile.Delete / TZipFile.Remove? 😄

14 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

That's one interpretation but just because the Wikipedia page states it (unsourced, incidentally) doesn't make it so.

Well, I'm judging from my own experience as well. Many components still support D7 as the oldest version and many people report they develop with D7. Also it was the last very compact version without .Net, J#, MS Help etc crap (and with perfect help system using good old HLP)

13 hours ago, aehimself said:

I wish this was explained further. Maybe we will finally get TZipFile.Delete / TZipFile.Remove? 😄

Or Zip with AES encryption...

On 10/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, aehimself said:

Never used TZip after i discovered a few years ago that it accepted large files without error/exception, but they wouldn't be in the zip 😞