Keesver

FYI - Several Embarcadero services are currently unavailable

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Anyway, if someone always suspects bad intentions in things from Embarcadero it may be better to move to something else.

Security is not bad intention.

Delphi is calling home for a reason.

If ELC is not calling home then the VM with ELC can be multiplied and used on multiple sites without Embarcadero knowing about this?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Delphi occasionally checks its license - either at Embarcadero servers or at the ELC server in your local network.

If ELC can run off-grid, then this makes no sense.

17 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

The cloud isn't always cheaper (been there, done that, bought new servers). To make the cloud cheaper you really need to leverage the features they provide (not just a bunch of vm's) - and that means re-architecting things (=time + more money) and it also means vendor lock in - once you leverage the cloud features it's not easy to switch providers. 

That makes sense, and thanks for sharing your experience. 

I am quite sure there are many factors that would need to be considered. IMO, in this case, I would hope that reliability and uptime would be paramount. Embarcadero's Delphi documentation is still offline, almost a week later.

10 minutes ago, Cristian Peța said:

Security is not bad intention.

Delphi is calling home for a reason.

If ELC is not calling home then the VM with ELC can be multiplied and used on multiple sites without Embarcadero knowing about this?

Exactly the point, I remember reading or accessing a page where the ELC server needed a file that should be generated and locked to an IP or a DNS or something, i really can't remember, but in that case or any case involving ELC server license with Internet parameter then the logical for Delphi IDE to some save parameters/data locally to access that server and in case of failure for extended period of time, it should check with home for valid ELC server registration or a revocation, this makes sense to be implemented in ELC server too.

Revocation needed because the license/ELC server could be moved to another/different server (with different IP/DNS...) may be !?

Anyway, I don't know, and as Uwe i would love to hear from who tested it with firewall on ELC server or have already knows, or may someone form Embarcadero can shed some light on this.

How long has it been down now? 

I just noticed it two days ago, still down for me.

4 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

You still can install from ISO.

But when you upgrade version from Professional to Enterprise, the uninstallation starts first. It gets stuck on uninstalling components from GetIt, and after killing the non-functional process of uninstall, Delphi no longer works and cannot be installed. Because uninstallation is always started first. ISO is not salvation...

Edited by pharant

3 hours ago, ginnix said:

How long has it been down now?

It will be a full week tomorrow.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, pharant said:

ISO is not salvation...

Probably not, but it allows you to get an "offline" installation. Even packages from GetIt can be installed once, copied and uninstalled to get rid of the GetIt server dependence. Also some GetIt packages are stripped versions where full versions are available. As I mentioned somewhere else in this forum, I use GetIt only to retrieve the required files, but avoid creating a dependency on it. That includes using paid versions when necessary (f.i. FastReport, CodeSite). Independence is not for free.

It's incredible, they still haven't solved it.
I can't uninstall Parnassuss which conflicted between versions 11 and 12!!
It's a real DISASTER!

21 minutes ago, gioma said:

I can't uninstall Parnassuss which conflicted between versions 11 and 12!!

I just installed successfully a fresh Delphi 12 from the ISO with a Network Named License inside a VM. Then I downloaded the *General Packages* and installed all of them using the multi package option in one go without problems. All downloads (ISO and packages) from *my.embarcadero.com*. So it is still possible to install a paid Delphi version and at least some packages from GetIt (Radiant Shapes, Konopka Controls, BeaconFence, Bookmarks, Navigator).

To make the GetIt manager dialog show up faster, I removed the values from the ServiceURL entry under CatalogRepository in HKCU and HKLM. Note that the list of packages displayed then is not usable.

You may get away with a standard workstation license already available on the target system.

Sorry, but this approach will not work for the Community Edition.

• Like 1

LOL at the comments from @Ian Barker on the Delphi Community Discord - General Chat 😄

Yes it was not a single point of failure but a cascade effect caused by a failure, mitigation, which then spiked demand in a concentrated way, which then unleashed the Kraken, Cthulhu, Satan's little helpers, COVID-19++, and the ghost of Christmas Past.

It's a bit like when you put your finger over a hole in a water pipe to stop it leaking and then it sprays everywhere like a coke bottle stuffed full of mentos.

When you have millions of hits from the IDE trying to refresh the GetIt packages (for example) and a tiny bit of network left limping along amidst the flames of Valhalla stuff goes sideways really fast.

Not a good week to be the developer advocate, to be fair, but a lot better than being one of the network ops people who, I suspect, have nothing left in their blood but pure caffeine and pizza crusts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

My case is not so simple, because all libraries are been renamed perfectly!
I had to delete them, I DEFINITELY UNINSTALLED DELPHI 11 AND REBUYED THE COMPONENTS TO UPDATE THEM TO DELPHI 12..
Now I managed to uninstall this crap from Delphi 12 and everything works as before, except my pockets!

among other things, now with Delphi 12 the SOAP calls that I made with Delphi 11 no longer work (Interface not supported) and I MUST find a solution as soon as possible..
Embarcadero does not understand the damage it is causing to its customers.. this is simply EMBARRASSING!
Delphi11 left to itself (the more you use it, the more it messes up something in the management of the IDE until it becomes completely unusable...).. they come out with Delphi12 which, once installed, definitely kills Delphi11.. the time I'm wasting solving their problems it's really a lot.. TOO MUCH..

@gioma I have both D11 and D12 installed. With the Parnassus plugins in both.

You cannot share visual source code between the two versions. If you open your projects in D12 and save the changes, the forms (as well as other visual design components) can have added properties, which will not work with D11.  This is not news. It has always been like this between major versions. 

That the GetIt servers are down is a problem for everybody, and not something this user forum can solve.

Hi, is there a way to install Community Edition 11 without using the network installer ? Thank you !

18 minutes ago, NicCo said:

is there a way to install Community Edition 11 without using the network installer ?

No.

• Like 1

Getit and other services have been down for over a week. Is Idera discontinuing these things?

23 minutes ago, jwcarney said:

Is Idera discontinuing these things?

Part of the services are available again. The rest is expected to follow shortly.

• Like 1

DocWiki is still down. GetIt is still down.

Those are pretty crucial.

DocWiki has a workaround with a local help installation from the ISO. The breakage of GetIt is crucial indeed.

1 minute ago, Kas Ob. said:

I didn't know that you were oppressed that much by Daniel !

What is that supposed to mean?