Steffen Nyeland

"Delphi High Performance" eBook free on Packt today.

Thanks for the tip!
Nice reading.

Note that the chapter about multi-thread friendly MM does not take into account the memory consumption of each, which is a pity.

In short, FastMM4 is very conservative (consume very low RAM), ScaleMM2 define a per-thread heap so will eat more memory, but it is worth saying that I have seen the Intel TBB MM eats hunderth time more memory than FastMM4 (with peaks at 200x RAM consumption).
So I never was able to use TBB on production. Almost the same for jemalloc. Under Linux, a modern glibc has also a great speed - but is a bit paranoid and sometimes SIGKILL the process on some memory error in end-user code.

You have some numbers in https://github.com/synopse/mORMot/blob/master/SynFPCCMemAligned.pas#L57

Edited by Arnaud Bouchez
  • Like 1

And perhaps don't switch the payment context to Europe (it's free anyway).

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

And perhaps don't switch the payment context to Europe (it's free anyway).

No, it still works when switching to Europe.

😉 I am feeling a little stupid here. But how can I download this book? There is an option to *buy* the E-Book for 9,99 USD. Maybe this would be the way to go for a download?

1858228725_Screenshot2019-06-06at22_05_34.thumb.png.482934e88025522806c6bfb8ff424247.png

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

😉 I am feeling a little stupid here. But how can I download this book? There is an option to *buy* the E-Book for 9,99 USD. Maybe this would be the way to go for a download?

1858228725_Screenshot2019-06-06at22_05_34.thumb.png.482934e88025522806c6bfb8ff424247.png

Do you have an account registered? That may be the key to getting the free download. I've found the site a little confusing, but once you have a title, you have it registered under your login, and can access it repeatedly.

1 minute ago, Bill Meyer said:

That may be the key to getting the free download

No, seems there is no more download for free books. The old ones can still be downloaded

I actually can access this book - but only online in their reader. This might be the "limitation" for this free offer.

Maybe. But I thought I remembered having been able to "buy" a free special at the $0.00 price in the past.

12 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

Maybe. But I thought I remembered having been able to "buy" a free special at the $0.00 price in the past.

Yes, thats why I said

16 minutes ago, Schokohase said:

No, seems there is no more download for free books. The old ones can still be downloaded

The old ones are the old free books

7 minutes ago, Jim McKeeth said:

Open it in the reader and then there is a download button.

Well ... where?

Delphi_High_Performance.png

Ok, turns out I own it too, and the changed it. Used to give you free download.

Edited by Jim McKeeth

@Jim McKeeth Do you pay anything to packtpub - subscription or anything else?

That could be the reason.

Edited by Guest