Davide Angeli

Several F2084 Internal Error on Delphi 10.4.2

25 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

I also would recommend NOT to install patch from IDE with "Close IDE and install YES/NO", and to select "NO".

I raccomend this too because in the first time I tryed to apply te patch I selected  YES and one of the patches was not applied. After strange errors (red text in cmd prompt) I read the patch logs and I discovered the the second patch did nothing but both of them result installed in the getit manager. So I unistalled both e reinstalled both selecting "NO" when getit ask me to close the IDE. Now I did the same with the third patch. This way of applying patches via getit is terrible but after few attempts I got the job done...

I raccomend also to pay attention to UAC prompt that in my case does not appear on top: I was waiting to the patch apply and because it tooks tool long (cmd window opened doing nothing) I noticed on the task bar the flashing icon of the UAC prompt.

14 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

But why is the new file in the patch then at all, if it doesn't have relevant changes ?

Is there any possibility that the "invisible" changes in the file could have an influence on the compiled output ?

I suspect someone did those "invisible" (Spaces) changes inadvertently and put it in version control making it to appears in the patch.

Edited by FPiette

3 minutes ago, FPiette said:

I suspect someone did those "invisible" (Spaces) changes inadvertently and put it in version control making it to appears in the patch.

Thats also what I hope.

I have never tested if BOM, Spaces or other strange UTF8/16 characters could infuence the compilers behaviour somehow.

Edited by Rollo62

After a day of testing the update I make some considerations on the subject of this conversation: the internal error situation has definitely improved. Now in my case I have a more stable situation again.

Let's say that in my opinion this bug has exacerbated the underlying problems that exist in the management of Delphi project groups. I always work with an open group of projects and sometimes it happens, despite being positioned on a project, to compile another one (for example a dll used by the active project); I do it with the right click selecting the project in the project window. In this case, despite the patch, it has already happened to me a couple of times that the IDE went into error (an access violetion in dcc32270.dll) and then if I return to compile the active project I get the internal error in question again. However these now seem sporadic cases probably linked to internal problems in switching on the fly from one project to another.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:50 AM, Vincent Parrett said:

So far so good. I turned LSP back on, was able to do a full build (100+ projects in the group) - then debug the main project, exit, change some code, compile and debug again. The IDE is using a lot of memory though.

Code navigation between projects is still broken for LSP (when only referencing dcp's) - so back to classic code insight it is. 

Same here, Code Insight with LSP is not working well, in most of case IDE can not find definitions... while "classic" code insite is working as expected.

Edited by Pierangelo Dal Ben

Here is the LSP working for most of the time.  so still some issues with newly added files now en then (especcialy when you drag/drop an existing source file to a project).

After several days of working with the 3 patches applied I have to say that things are going better but 10.4.2 is still far to be a stable environment to work (in my configuration).

Even if with less frequency I continue to have scattered errors in the IDE:
- access violations in dcc32270.dll (usually compiling a project not active and always need to close/kill ide when happen because of cascade of access violations)
- access violations in rtl270.bpl (switching between projects / closing the ide)

- "Error reading Image1.Picture.Data" doing text search in ide editor

I think/hope that embd should/could invest some time to make things better for those who work with project groups and runtime packages.

• Like 1

At the moment here it's like the LSP/Codecompletion etc, is dependant on the weather or something, can not get my finger at it, when it stops. sometimes it works all day, today, it stops every 5 minutes working.

(especially, codecompletion and jump to things in other units)

16 hours ago, mvanrijnen said:

At the moment here it's like the LSP/Codecompletion etc, is dependant on the weather or something, can not get my finger at it, when it stops. sometimes it works all day, today, it stops every 5 minutes working.

(especially, codecompletion and jump to things in other units)

Same here. Yesterday LSP/Codecompletion doesn't work the whole morning (close/reopen ide multiple times, rebuild every library etc but nothing) then I closed a couple of source files in the IDE's editor and it start to work again! 

Another amenity of yesterday, debugging a 64bit delphi application the IDE consumed all my PC memory (8Gb on 16Gb used by the ide alone!). This obviously crashed the whole system making debugging impossible. Closed the IDE and redone the operation everything worked regularly. They are not insurmountable problems but they are very annoying because they are continuous.

3 hours ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

And of course.... closed.

Closed... I hope... solved in 11.1 ?

I've dozens of this errors a day with 11.0 (not updated yet to 11.1) and they are exactly the same errors of 10.4.2.

Closed as cannot reproduce.

Without sample code that actually can reproduce the problem, it is impossible to resolve the cause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Without sample code that actually can reproduce the problem, it is impossible to resolve the cause.

Problem is that many of these type of errors, expose only in larger projects. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mvanrijnen said:

expose only in larger projects

Or when you start using some of the IDE features meant to help you manage large projects..

10.4.2 crashes several times a day on large projects for me. I have not yet been brave enough to try them in 11.1

15 minutes ago, KenR said:

10.4.2 crashes several times a day on large projects for me. I have not yet been brave enough to try them in 11.1

I believe Delphi 11.1 is a largish step forward in stability. I do not work at the moment on the larger project only on a small one but the internal error after debugging that required restart of the IDE is gone (as far as I can see).

I will try it on one of them. 11.0 had huge problems.

4 hours ago, KenR said:

for me too... Some months ago I've updated to 11.0 hoping in a better life but crashes are exactly same of 10.4.2. In the next days, maybe tomorrow, I'll give a chance to 11.1. I hope it won't be worse than it is now. I am now used to restarting the IDE at least once every 10/15 minutes.

• Sad 1

I'm using D11.1 in the last two days. This kind of problems seems not solved:

image.thumb.png.ec8d312168a78e697c8c3436170dd4cf.png

The error is now more beautiful to see colorful but it always remains unsolved ...

It happens always working on a large projects compiling and debugging the pieces (DLLs, EXE, BPLs.. ) and swicthing from a project to another. I guess it is totally useless to open a new report in QC as it would be closed for the umpteenth time as "cannot reproduce".

After the first exception, madexcept shows always this call stack trying to close IDE (note that on 10.4.2 e 11.0 was pratically the same). I don't know if could be useful...

image.thumb.png.570b0d506db82c08bd1f248ecb4f3029.png

30 minutes ago, Davide Angeli said:

After the first exception, madexcept shows always this call stack trying to close IDE (note that on 10.4.2 e 11.0 was pratically the same). I don't know if could be useful...

The only way to find out is to open a QC with this screen shot. 

• Like 1

Wow this one seems new (another access violation in dcc32280.dll) and just changing the active project double clicking on the treelist in the project pane:

image.thumb.png.53de369acfceff5188fa5f8a74da0794.png

Davide,

it's just a vague guess: you use a dark color scheme on IDE. Do you see the same problems also when using the light default scheme?

On 3/23/2022 at 12:02 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

We cannot send our 1 million lines of code to Emba.
Maybe Emba should save some kind of crash like (ever heard of MadShi) to disk. They will get more info from there.