wuwuxin

Delphi TOIOBE index lifted in May 2022?

TIOBE Index makes no sense (anymore). No idea if it ever id.

After the (first) software crisis a NATO conference in the late 1960s addressed this issue and one of the results was to establish various programming languages, domain driven ones especially. That's what all those rankings reflect nowadays, not more not less.

What can we say?

What we see today returned and in more sophisticated fashion.

Compilers were in the beginning. Over the years one lesser restricted technology (in the end) and programming languages were (re)introduced in order to get an idea of what people can/will do once compiler restrictions are gone.

After a strong period of (W)intel dominance the question, btw. an old one even on the 'very first' IBM computers that made it into public, the question arose 'What will happen if new and/or more specialized processors will show up'.  That was already pretty clear in the 1980s and 1990s and no surprise at all if we think of home computing. One direction hinted at compilers and portability and a second at virtual runtime environments, interpreted first and JIT-compiled & friends later.

What we see is, that no solutions was found until today. What we see is that the insanity ascribed to programmers moved away from the individual to technology engineers and language designers.

TIOBE index to a certain degree could hint at what combination will be tried out next and by whom or who has a fair chance to succeed.

Programming languages and technologies are not solely aimed at software engineers. Since no best way to address the everlasting changes 'underneath the programming language' and/or execution environment was found, feel free to use whatever you like. 

Outside the traditional world of customer/supplier relations freedom can be found at every corner today and the question if 'your programming skill are up to date' cannot simply be answered by a ranking of programming languages.

ASM on position 8. Sure.

"The number of hits determines the ratings of a language." How asm ends up on position 8? 

their list of included pages are too weird. Sharepoint.com ? Just redirects to ms.

i first had the impression Tiobe stood for the number of queries in a month about a certain language, but apparently that's not the case. Pointless.

• Like 1

August 2023. Delphi was about to enter Tiobe Top 10. But exactly before that, Delphi was thrown down to position 30 (or something like this) for a few days.

Now I see it is back to the top 20. But instead of pos 11 it is 15 now.
People from Tiobe must really really hate Delphi.

Edited by FreeDelphiPascal
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

People from Tiobe must really really hate Delphi.

Considering hate stems mostly from envy, I can live with that.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:03 AM, Rinzwind said:

i first had the impression Tiobe stood for the number of queries in a month about a certain language, but apparently that's not the case. Pointless.

I guess it used to be, but for quite some time it's more convoluted. As the number of queries only reflects on poor documentation, steep learning curve and hype. So...no wonder that is not used anymore, but how else could one measure a languages popularity compared to others? Number of books published on the subject? Sales? I'm glad I don't have to come up with some language rating scheme...

7 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Considering hate stems mostly from envy, I can live with that.

I'm quite sure that the people at TIOBE are driven night and day by their intense feelings of envy towards Delphi. I really can't imagine they think about anything else. 

• Haha 7

Tiobe index sucks. It measures (quoting Linus Torhal) "The level of noise on the Internet".

But it is important for us (Delphi guys) because of the publicity. Everybody knows how poor Tiobe is, still everybody is quoting it.

🙂

21 hours ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

But it is important for us (Delphi guys) because of the publicity. Everybody knows how poor Tiobe is, still everybody is quoting it.

Who cares about TIOBE? It's just irrelevant. 

• Like 1

Are Tiobe's results relevant/accurate?

No

Is Tiobe Index page visited by LOTS of people?

Yes.

(Many acquaintances, when I tell them that I work in Delphi, they ask me where Delphi is situated in Tiobe).

So, as I said:  " because of the publicity."

3 hours ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

they ask me where Delphi is situated in Tiobe

Do they treat you differently when you answer? 

On 5/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, Rinzwind said:

ASM on position 8. Sure.

"The number of hits determines the ratings of a language." How asm ends up on position 8? 

their list of included pages are too weird. Sharepoint.com ? Just redirects to ms.

Although ASM is very important in programming language, but no productivity at all, especially in risc environment.