Ian Branch

Delphifeeds.com??

Tks Martin,

I'm sure it was working a couple of weeks ago.  It is one I visit regularly.

I thought it might have been down for maintenance or something.

Oh well.  Another valuable resource seems to have bit the dust..  😞

I believe Eric Grange wrote BeginEnd to replace Delphifeeds many years ago as it was no longer maintained, which is why it looks very similar. I am not sure what happened 😞

40 minutes ago, Martin Sedgewick said:

to replace Delphifeeds many years ago as it was no longer maintained

Embarcadero took over DelphiFeeds 2 years ago to revive it:

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/the-all-new-delphifeeds-com/

I guess they are not doing a very good job of that.  Or, maybe they are just having system troubles?  This wouldn't be the first time an Embarcadero system used by the community went down for weeks at a time.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Tks Martin,

I'm sure it was working a couple of weeks ago.  It is one I visit regularly.

I thought it might have been down for maintenance or something.

Oh well.  Another valuable resource seems to have bit the dust..  😞

begin end - Object Pascal and Delphi News

Since the lunch of BeginEnd, I never looked back for Delphi Feeds, it's simple and has clean UI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Embarcadero took over DelphiFeeds 2 years ago to revive it:

Same story over and over again:

• There is a good tool / website / whatever
  • Embarcadero buys it (or the person who made it becomes an employee)
  • It goes down the drain
  • Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 2:17 AM, dummzeuch said:

Same story over and over again:

• There is a good tool / website / whatever
  • Embarcadero buys it (or the person who made it becomes an employee)
  • It goes down the drain

This is my perception as well. There is a general lack of focus on quality and execution with Delphi and related services. While I appreciate that they are managing to keep up with Android as a target, have iterative improvements to various aspects of the IDE and language, etc., I cannot work with Delphi for a day without having to work around bugs, and the community resources that used to exist have all but disappeared. It looks like a system being barely maintained with a skeleton crew. I know that is unfair to people who have put so much effort into it and continue to develop it, but I am a 20+ year Delphi veteran and while I can manage to work around its quirks and bugs, I would never recommend it to someone starting new. So how much long will all this last? I do my part -- I pay for multi-year subscription and try to make sensible QA reports. But how long will this last?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is one reason why I am sceptic when someone claims Delphi should support this feature or have that tool out of the box, while often there already exist 3rd party solutions covering all these. I would rather see Delphi step back and concentrate on its core functionality instead of constantly broadening the target. Either these have to compete for the limited resources or they are going to be abandoned like ever so often. Just buying a tool as a Delphi companion is only the start. It needs constant and sufficient investment to keep it going.

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That is one reason why I am sceptic when someone claims Delphi should support this feature or have that tool out of the box, while often there already exist 3rd party solutions covering all these.

That is exactly what I respond when someone tells me that Embarcadero should integrate TestInsight or Spring. :classic_cool:

51 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Just buying a tool as a Delphi companion is only the start. It needs constant and sufficient investment to keep it going.

Parnassus plugins ...

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 8

OK, I'm just catching up on this change. And I need a little help (or more coffee).

First, when I click on the Recent Post RSS link, I end up with a file to D/L which has a DWS file extension. The file content does not appear to have any XML and using T'bird to use it for adding a subscription is a no-go. How is that file suppose to be used?

Next, is it expect to always receive a link in order to sign into the site? Yes, I saw the notice about it being an atypical way of doing things but this is the first time I've come across this modality and it just seems strange to me.

TIA

DJ

.dws is Delphi Web Script and probably means that the server is misconfigured because instead of executing the file it delivers if for download.