357mag

How many people use Delphi?

I keep imagining the 28MI (as Stefan said above), users of StackOverFlow registered programmers making daily comparisons in their production software to know which compilers are slower, or faster (as you wish).

How boring would these professionals' lives be... maybe it would be better to "do TikTok dances" to relieve stress, no?

1 minute ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

I keep imagining the 28MI (as Stefan said above), users of StackOverFlow registered programmers making daily comparisons in their production software to know which compilers are slower, or faster (as you wish).

How boring would these professionals' lives be... maybe it would be better to "do TikTok dances" to relieve stress, no?

My business is based around a computationally intensive numerical finite element code. The performance of the code emitted by the compiler is very important. 

Why do you think otherwise? 

Two cent about compilers performance by the example of spritz-c stream cipher implementation:

spritz_delphi_fpc.thumb.png.52229db9c54f36941644b11aa8ac9c81.png

1. Delphi 11, Windows x86_64 (classic compiler), release

2. Delphi 11, Linux x86_64 (nextgen, LLVM based compiler), release

3. FreePascal 3.3.1, Linux x86_64, release

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

It's certainly the case that the fastest C++ compilers produce code that is much faster than delphi. Especially for maths.

Probably 98% of Delphi users don't care about math speed for what they have to do. Only those doing math intensive applications do care. So you care and Patrick doesn't, me neither

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FPiette said:

Probably 98% of Delphi users don't care about math speed for what they have to do. Only those doing math intensive applications do care. So you care and Patrick doesn't, me neither

That's absolutely fair. But I was responding this this comment.

20 hours ago, shineworld said:

It is fast.

If performance isn't important to you then you can just ignore such discussions. Just as I ignore discussions on things like database programming in Delphi, because I don't don't use Delphi for that. 

I think that 98% is a high amount, however, without technical and reliable proof, I will accept if you give me a 20% discount for paying in cash!

But of course, Piette, you may be correct in saying that most don't really need that much computing power to perform a "CRUD": select, insert, update and delete!

For the others, everything will still be little, in view of their personal needs, more than professional and market needs. Bear in mind that they will never be able to reach "that" that is filed within them, and is already part of it!

"It's the dog chasing its tail!" - but it's fair, maybe one day they'll feel the bite

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

I think that 98% is a high amount, however, without technical and reliable proof, I will accept if you give me a 20% discount for paying in cash!

But of course, Piette, you may be correct in saying that most don't really need that much computing power to perform a "CRUD": select, insert, update and delete!

For the others, everything will still be little, in view of their personal needs, more than professional and market needs. Bear in mind that they will never be able to reach "that" that is filed within them, and is already part of it!

"It's the dog chasing its tail!" - but it's fair, maybe one day they'll feel the bite

This makes absolutely no sense. 

• Haha 1

Delphi is not dead, but a niche language.  It is great for many uses, easy to learn, has readable code, and is nice for the hobbyist or for doing inhouse tools.

However, if you intend to make a living doing software development and easily find employment, learn C#, Java, TypeScript and SQL. C++ if you want to do games.  C if you want to do embedded.

14 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Just as I ignore discussions on things like database programming in Delphi, because I don't don't use Delphi for that. 

That "double don't" mean you do use Delphi for that, right? :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, Kazantsev Alexey said:

Two cent about compilers performance by the example of spritz-c stream cipher implementation:

spritz_delphi_fpc.thumb.png.52229db9c54f36941644b11aa8ac9c81.png

1. Delphi 11, Windows x86_64 (classic compiler), release

2. Delphi 11, Linux x86_64 (nextgen, LLVM based compiler), release

3. FreePascal 3.3.1, Linux x86_64, release

Those Delphi Linux numbers are sad to see - but no surprise given how bad LLVM is being used (it basically lacks the IL opt step).

Would be interested to see the difference between what dcc64 and fpc emit though - can do share the benchmark code somewhere?

59 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Those Delphi Linux numbers are sad to see - but no surprise given how bad LLVM is being used (it basically lacks the IL opt step).

Yeah, but performance isn't important for 98% of Delphi programmers.   (am I doing this right?)

On 4/21/2023 at 5:23 PM, David Schwartz said:

Personally, it makes no sense to me. They've got a huge installed code base that's stable, reliable, and fully debugged. So why go with another platform where all of the code is new, will take a couple of years to get to where the Delphi version was three years earlier, and will be full of bugs for the next several years? Why not build the NEXT version in Dephi, re-use as much existing code as possible (reducing your programming needs to some extent) and save a huge amount on development costs? Like I said, Delphi is the platform that companies love to hate today.

Because, once you are using popular toolchains and languages, you have a a significantly larger pool of developers to choose from. If you're using Delphi, it is far harder to find experienced developers. This may or may not be a valid reason to try to replace Delphi in a company, but it is certainly and understandable one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Yeah, but performance isn't important for 98% of Delphi programmers.   (am I doing this right?)

No, you are doing wrong. You are making a shortcut. 98% of Delphi users don't care about math speed for what they have to do with Delphi.

In Norway, Delphi developer salaries are relatively high compared to others - but I guess that is connected to the seniority of the average Delphi devs - We've been around for a long time 😛

• Like 1

Win11/Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz Max 1.99 GHz (Max limited because a notebook)/4-cores/8-threads/16GB/RAD10.4/Release/<below data>

D:\spritz_bench>spritz_bench.exe
spritz prng: 149.50 MiB/s

D:\spritz_bench>spritz_bench.64.exe
spritz prng: 191.12 MiB/s

Edited by shineworld

Win11/Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H CPU @ 2.30GHz (Max 4,7 GHz)/6P+8E-cores/20-threads/32GB/RAD11.3/Release/<below data>

D:\spritz_bench>spritz_bench.exe
spritz prng: 182.30 MiB/s

D:\spritz_bench>spritz_bench.64.exe
spritz prng: 196.31 MiB/s

Lazarus 2.2.6 (Release 64 -O3)
spritz prng: 174.48 MiB/s
Edited by DelphiUdIT

4 hours ago, FPiette said:

No, you are doing wrong. You are making a shortcut. 98% of Delphi users don't care about math speed for what they have to do with Delphi.

If only delphi's poor performance was limited to math