David P

What's the general opinion on v12?

We're currently using v11.3 and at the time of v12 release I didn't really see anything compelling enough to update (we're on a subscription) and go through the agro of updating all our third-party components.

Is there a noticeable difference?

Posted (edited)

I my opinion Delphi 12 + Update 1 is a little bit more stable than Delphi 11 + Update 3.

But I am not using either very much due to the (IDE) annoyances when mixing HighDPI monitors and non-HighDPI monitors, so I'm not an authorative source for such a comparison.

Edited by dummzeuch

6 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

I my opinion Delphi 12 + Update 1 is a bit little more stable

There is no Delphi 12 Update 1 (yet), only Delphi 12 with Patch 1.

During times a common rule had established to wait for the first Update after an initial release before starting to use a Delphi version in production. That doesn't imply not to install and start using it - just not for production. JM2C

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

There is no Delphi 12 Update 1 (yet), only Delphi 12 with Patch 1.

Hm, OK, I could have sworn it said "Update 1" in the about dialog but you are right, it says "Patch 1". So, I stand corrected.

Observations 12 Patch vs 11.3

1. 12 eats inifile lines commented out using ;  Unsure if the IDE or program made is doing it. 
  2. 12 IDE editor tabs get resized just like GEx tabs when hot switching from 4K to low resolution. Suggesting that Style needs applied for high DPI to work.  An executable with style seems to "right" size readily:)    

1 hour ago, Pat Foley said:

Observations 12 Patch vs 11.3

1. 12 eats inifile lines commented out using ;  Unsure if the IDE or program made is doing it. 

That has been the case since forever when using TMemIniFile rather than TIniFile (the latter uses the ancient/deprecated WinAPI Get/SetPrivateProfileString). So if that has changed from 11.3 to 12p1, this probably means that somewhere somebody has switched from using TIniFile to TMemIniFile.

Check out the What's New page: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/What's_New

But RAD Studio 12 does have some rough edges.  See my wiki page for a few regressions: https://github.com/ideasawakened/DelphiKB/wiki/D29.ATHENS.12.0.0.0

Patch 1 (https://github.com/ideasawakened/DelphiKB/wiki/D29.ATHENS.12.0.0.1) fixes some of those, but some important ones remain.

Update 1 was released 6 months after RS 11.   So playing a guessing game...since RS 12 was released in early November, April might be a good guestimate for RS 12 Update 1 where most of the rough edges should be worked out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

But he's asking about C++

What makes you think so?

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

What makes you think so?

Apart from the fact that we are in the section:

image.thumb.png.6629213fc309499052ffa36619244f67.png

nothing else.

• Haha 3

I've been testing the 12 C++ for compiling a large project which on the whole upgraded reasonably well.

I've only had one IDE crash so far in code insight which with Tomo seems much better so far.  Compile speed seems much better now, well with multithread compiling.

I've had one strange thing where I was playing with components on the main form just to test using the Titlebar but didnt save.

But on close and re-open the app it still has the changes.

I deleted all history files to see if that helped but didnt have time to figure out what was going on.

Maybe there is an auto save running, not sure as on exit it was still say "Save project ?"

Posted (edited)

On my side, Sync Prototypes is not working in Delphi 12, very frustrating.

Ctrl+Click also don't work or if it works it takes more than 10-15 sec.

Auto-completion also don't work... so another buggy release.

Compilation does not work as well - random internal compiler errors or some error and the IDE points to a line after the end. in some unit, so I have to Build the project every time which is quite time consuming.

Edited by dwrbudr

Interesting. That isn't visible in my browser:

image.thumb.png.f9e688b817235765d81e596cb901844a.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Interesting. That isn't visible in my browser:

image.thumb.png.f9e688b817235765d81e596cb901844a.png

It depends on how wide your browser window is. Yours is too narrow, so you get the condensed view. I get that too if I move the browser window to half of a HD monitor -> 960 pixels wide. If I make it a bit wider, I get the full path. That's called "responsive design" I think, and I usually hate it. Be we digress.

Edited by dummzeuch

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Yours is too narrow,

Hard to believe...

image.thumb.png.ff3a47eb911215948f8bd27e13df0ce0.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Hard to believe...

image.thumb.png.ff3a47eb911215948f8bd27e13df0ce0.png

On my computer it works exactly that way.

1200 pixels:

image.thumb.png.d04b36685d35cb4711647d2594647640.png

960 pixels:

image.thumb.png.bbc6779c54e7149b94558259f6eb7bc9.png

Maybe there is some configuration setting that causes this. I don't remember changing anything though.

Edited by dummzeuch

I like 12.0 patch 1 for C++ 64bit - the improved visual assist stuff works pretty well and the debugger is improved over 11.x

Posted (edited)

I am disappointed in the CMake/compiler implementation, as it fails to compile a standard 3rd party project, e.g. Poco (https://pocoproject.org/). Poco used to compile even with the old compiler, and is obviously easy to compile with Visual Studio. However, as libraries evolve, together with the C++ language, the old compiler is now more or less obsolete. 

This fact prevents me from even trying another large 3rd party C++ project, like OpenCV or VTK.

This "should" be no problem, as the Clang C++ compiler is absolutely capable of compiling these projects. However, with a broken front end CMake implementation, it is a more or less an impossible task. 

This makes the whole platform not very useful, unless for small projects not using 3rd party C++ libraries.

I hope the day comes when CMake has an Embarcadero/Clang compiler option, that can be selected and compile these very important 3rd party libraries, without copy and pasting CMake files around on the file system, as now is the proposed solution (https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Using_CMake_with_C%2B%2B_Builder) , that I have tried, and cannot get to work. 

image.thumb.png.6c7e9d7c14366a10f1b70f5b5aa9f39f.png

image.thumb.png.9e415ff454243ba701697fc3d83edfc8.png

These are not real solutions, but just crude hacks... that does not even work.

I have a post about this here 

Edited by TotteKarlsson
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't have written it much differently - thank you for the entry. I'm more than disappointed... 12.0 is completely useless (for me).
I see it as an interim step and hope for 12.1 or 12.2. If 12.1 or 12.2 doesn't deliver, C++Builder is dead.

CMake can not be used to compile VTK, OpenCV, ITK, and so on ... since ages. TwineCompile is a ray of hope - without the TC I would already be lost.

The thing is, I definitely believe that they (Embacadero) are trying to advance C++Builder.
I keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by oliwe