Martin Sedgewick

10.3.1 has been released

I downloaded and installed from the ISO.

So far, things seem to be OK after using for a couple of days,

But why oh why don't they include the PAServer Mac package if you choose iOS??? It only gets installed if OSX is selected.

It gets me every time. 

5 minutes ago, Vince Bartlett said:

But why oh why don't they include the PAServer Mac package if you choose iOS??? It only gets installed if OSX is selected.

It gets me every time. 

What about filing a bug report?

6 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

What about filing a bug report?

So that it is also ignored as all the other high voted bug reports, that will probably never be fixed?

It seems to be more important to add unwanted features than to get the existing stuff working.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, GPRSNerd said:

So that it is also ignored as all the other high voted bug reports, that will probably never be fixed?

It is my experience that issues with the installation are usually targeted quickly.

12 minutes ago, GPRSNerd said:

It seems to be more important to add unwanted features than to get the existing stuff working.

I know what you mean, but if we stop filing bug reports to notify them about existing stuff not working they will have more time to add unwanted features.

Even if the chances for a filed bug to be fixed are pretty low, they are still higher than those for a bug not filed at all. After all 10.3.1 fixes more than 150 reported bugs, which were probably still not fixed if they weren't be reported in the first place.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cristian Peța said:

Perfect! Then it is actually a regression, which pushes the probability of a timely fix. Now we only need that regression bug report.

As the report claims to be fixed in 10.1 Berlin, can someone check if it was introduced in 10.2 Tokyo or one of its updates or in 10.3 Rio?

5 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Perfect! Then it is actually a regression, which pushes the probability of a timely fix. Now we only need that regression bug report.

As the report claims to be fixed in 10.1 Berlin, can someone check if it was introduced in 10.2 Tokyo or one of its updates or in 10.3 Rio?

I did. In December - RSP-21678

They couldn't reproduce it (!)

I've added a comment but guess now it's closed it won't get taken notice of.

48 minutes ago, Vince Bartlett said:

I've added a comment but guess now it's closed it won't get taken notice of.

If you can still reproduce it, you should dispute the resolution with detailed steps to reproduce.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GPRSNerd said:

That is actually the best way to get the problem ignored...ignoring it on the user side. I wonder which demi gods promoted their bug reports because there seems to be quite some fixing done. :classic_ninja:

Keep in mind, that concise instructions to reproduce an issue may work wonders. They are our peers and great minds think alike. Good bug reports yield fixes. Yada yada yada...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

If you can still reproduce it, you should dispute the resolution with detailed steps to reproduce.

You mean copy the original description? 😉

I'm going to Marco's London seminar in a couple of weeks.....

I might get more success asking there.

29 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Keep in mind, that concise instructions to reproduce an issue may work wonders. They are our peers and great minds think alike. Good bug reports yield fixes.

Unfortunately not even good and reliable descriptions on how to reproduce the bug and even suggestions on how to fix them don't always get it fixed. I sometimes wonder whether they use some random number algorithm to select the bugs to be fixed.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Unfortunately not even good and reliable descriptions on how to reproduce the bug and even suggestions on how to fix them don't always get it fixed. I sometimes wonder whether they use some random number algorithm to select the bugs to be fixed.

Those bugs still have a way better chance at getting fixed than "It's broke, fix it!" or no bug report at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince Bartlett said:

You mean copy the original description?

The description in that report are not really detailed steps. Even the short hint in one comment is not what I call detailed steps.

A good hint is: If it cannot be reproduced it is most likely that the steps are either incomplete or not precise enough.

There is almost no day where I don't get a bug report that goes: Do X and you get Y instead of Z! (sometimes they actually mention the expected). Then when I do X as described I usually get Z and not Y. (Just answering one of these now)

2 hours ago, Vince Bartlett said:

You mean copy the original description?

Steps should be something like:

1. Install RAD Studio from ISO image with Delphi iOS Platform and without OSX Platform.
2. PAServer20.0.pkg file is missing

Installed 10.3.1 using the web installer.  Something looks strange. 

No 10.3.1 mention.  Installed update is 10.2 update 2?

image.png.99eae1fa0cb7841d14e066e1ed07f2cf.png

6 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Installed 10.3.1 using the web installer.  Something looks strange. 

No 10.3.1 mention.  Installed update is 10.2 update 2?

Something is not right with your installation. Mine shows 10.3 update 1

image.png.79b26fed731a1d784b5a981e1d64c6d7.png

This is what mine looks like, but it is a fresh install (I kind of avoid the first major release...)

466902518_Screenshot2019-02-19um15_06_15.png.a5673d0da5060ab0ff901135c76a51e7.png

Very odd.  I did have 10.3 from November installed and did a reinstall and the uninstall hung at the end.  Perhaps I need to redo it 😕 - or wait until the new laptop arrives.

I do love that Parnassus Bookmarks and Navigator is included, though!

Now I am suddenly not so happy about the Parnassus integration in 10.3.  It murdered my 10.2 Parnassus plugins.

1 minute ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Now I am suddenly not so happy about the Parnassus integration in 10.3.  It murdered my 10.2 Parnassus plugins.

Look into the thread about the annoucement. Somebody there posted a solution.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, Uwe Raabe said:

The description in that report are not really detailed steps. Even the short hint in one comment is not what I call detailed steps.

Hmmmm...

I see your point but at the time of raising the issue I didn't know the cause.

This version wasn't the first installed RAD Studio but as far as I can remember it was the first time I'd encountered the issue.

I'd agree about the comment not being detailed. However, I added a comment with more information on the same day where I explicitly stated I didn't install OSX (and mention there was an existing related issue). If this wasn't enough for their QA people to work out the issue I'd wonder about bothering to report things.

If any of my group, especially the QA guys gave up as easily as these characters then I'd be very disappointed.

I realise they have a very large product and also a lot of bugs which are of immeasurably higher impact and importance, but if this is their best endeavour????

Edited by Vince Bartlett

On 2/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, Silver Black said:

This error showed up...

but then I clicked "retry" and it worked. 🙂

I'm reporting here just for information if it would happen to other user.

Last note: IDEFixPack for 10.3 is not compatibile with 10.3.1, you receive some Unhandled Exceptions starting the IDE, but uninstalling the component solve the problem I suggest to uninstall them before installing the update.

The development snapshot of IDE Fix Pack is actually compatible with the 10.3.1 update but because the WebInstaller loads the IDE Fix Pack DLLs into the installer the crash happens. Furthermore the WebInstaller deletes some registry keys and so partly uninstalls IDE Fix Pack.

The next development snapshot will detect the WebInstaller and doesn't install the patches into it. It also tells the user to reinstall IDE Fix Pack after the update.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, jbg said:

The development snapshot of IDE Fix Pack is actually compatible with the 10.3.1 update but because the WebInstaller loads the IDE Fix Pack DLLs into the installer the crash happens. Furthermore the WebInstaller deletes some registry keys and so partly uninstalls IDE Fix Pack.

The next development snapshot will detect the WebInstaller and doesn't install the patches into it. It also tells the user to reinstall IDE Fix Pack after the update.

Sounds great. Can't wait for the new version!

2 hours ago, Silver Black said:

Sounds great. Can't wait for the new version!