ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

On 11/12/2023 at 3:37 AM, dummzeuch said:

I'm not sure it is a joke. Even today there are so many people with superstitions around, that releasing a version containing the number 13 might actually cost them some customers. I even have the impression this part of the population is growing rather than shrinking.

Or maybe, after the failures that have been 10.4,11 and 12, 13 could buck the trend and the show superstition for what it is and be amazing... Like do people really think the gods don't know you're staying on the forth floor even if the humans didn't number it 4?

On 11/11/2023 at 10:15 PM, David Heffernan said:

It's one of my goals to release a version 13 of my software, which is currently at 11.4. I'd be able to retire then!! 

Release it as 13.9 for double-hit!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Release it as 13.9 for double-hit!

Or 13.7 for naturalized effect !

20 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

To search out bad luck amongst our Japanese markets?

Easy, just add some anime kitties and giant robots to win their hearts! Or... giant kitty robots!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Easy, just add some anime kitties and giant robots to win their hearts! Or... giant kitty robots!

Psychic surgery may be indicated for those with bad luck. 🙂

The only bad luck I know about is the disassembly window not showing on 12. Control-alt-d when stopped at a breakpoint only flickers the other debug floaters. 😞

OIG.5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:35 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

To have the Parnassus plugins work in Delphi 12 as well as Delphi 11.3 on the same machine you need to do either of this depending on your situation:

• Before installing the Delphi 12 plugin: In folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared rename ParnassusCoreEditor.dll into ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll
  • After installing the Delphi 12 plugin: Copy the 11 version of ParnassusCoreEditor.dll from the appropriate CatalogRepository folder as ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll into the mentioned folder

Thank you very much! But would a rainmaker dance also work? It's less time-consuming.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

But would a rainmaker dance also work?

I didn't try it.

PSA: Looks like that integer division is broken in 12 due to implementing this feature request.

There are at least two reports already about this:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-43274

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-43418

Personally, I would say this absolute "need a hotfix asap" severity.

I am honestly really sad about this because this encourages everyone who shies away from requesting any improvements to the compiler because it is almost certain that s**t will fall apart after. 😒

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

Ref, next major version of Delphi...

Triskaidekaphobia IS to be trifled with 😛

I do wish more companies would simply adopt a calendar centric version.  

RAD Studio <year>.<release>.<patch>.<build>

I also wish that the minor releases could be installed in parallel! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Ref, next major version of Delphi...

Triskaidekaphobia IS to be trifled with 😛

I also wish that the minor releases could be installed in parallel! 

Unfortunately you won't get that past most marketing departments.

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Are we talking about Chinese zodiac years ?

Monkey, Ox, Rooster, Dragon, Pig.... 

That will open +1.5 billion client market.

11 minutes ago, Kas Ob. said:

That will open +1.5 billion client market.

I bet that many of those will also recognize the western calendar years.

Brgds, a Wood Dragon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Wood Dragon.

I didn't know about such Chinese Horoscope.

Thank you !

So is FireMonkey from there too ?

Edit: adding this

It might be helpful for marketing to choose Chinese city name, like the famous Wuhan .

Edited by Kas Ob.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Unfortunately you won't get that past most marketing departments.

I can see them now, brooding in their offices over a not so satisfactory IDE release, when suddenly one of them jumps up in excitement, shouting: "I got it!" Proceeding to invite everyone to a Teams meeting to spread the good news. When they all finally got together an extensive presentation with countless slides was skillfully delivered to the increasingly agitated peers culminating in roaring applause and a virtual high five by Mr. Popov himself, who had joined after hearing the good news. With his chest swollen with pride he then announced "So this is it then: Athens!"

• Haha 4

If only they chose city names sorted like do Google Android, Debian, Ubuntu... but no, pure random. And ridiculously loooong name for 11. I have some really wonderful options for Succ(v12) releases:

Schmedeswurtherwesterdeich

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu

and many more really cool names here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_place_names

Well Google has no right to gloat..."Ice cream sandwich"? Stupid names. Numbers rule! Delphi 12.0 - Done. Pure. Simple. No room for mistakes or errors. Other than Debian: Bullseye, Buster or Bookworm...which one is oldest?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Delphi 12.0

But that's not what it is. It's Delphi 12. Like last time it was Delphi 11 and then 11.1 and then 11.2. So maybe the next one after 12 will be 12.1. Or maybe it will be 13. Or maybe 14.

The fact that so many people have such problems with knowing the versions is a sign that their policy is poor. I'm expecting to hear about XE12 before long.

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Schmedeswurtherwesterdeich

That is actually the name of a street in Schmedeswurth (never heard of it before, but I looked it up in Google Maps) so it's not a city. And Schmedeswurth is a very small municipality whith < 200 people living there, which I doubt qualifies for even a small town.

Edited by dummzeuch

6 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Numbers rule! Delphi 12.0 - Done. Pure. Simple. No room for mistakes or errors

Well, this is actually Delphi major version number 29.  But if you use Compiler or RTL versions, then its number 36.    Delphi 2009 was actually the 12th release so this new Delphi 12 is a 14-year late-comer.

Instead of just skipping Delphi 13 to go to Delphi 14, let's go directly to Delphi 37 and sync all the versions for a brief moment in time until some marketing guy wants to switch to MPDS 1.0 (Multi-Platform Dev Studio) or other such thing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Well Google has no right to gloat..."Ice cream sandwich"? Stupid names. Numbers rule! Delphi 12.0 - Done. Pure. Simple. No room for mistakes or errors. Other than Debian: Bullseye, Buster or Bookworm...which one is oldest?

Oops my fault. Debian has no order in names. But Android and Ubuntu have. However Ubuntu changes names inside major releases which is also confusing.

Example of insane naming is also MS Windows.

3.1, 95, 98, Millenium, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11, ...

In the same time server versions are named after years so you also have to remember - kernel of which "user" version has this server version 20XX?

On 11/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, David Heffernan said:

All these marketing people trying to generate buzz around a name. How about fixing the bugs and making the product better? Then you can call it anything you like and it will sell.

You are right.
There are 28 years since first Delphi.
After all this time, should we still hope that we will ever have a stable version? (IDE, RTL, VCL, compiler, even cross-platform stuff and EVEN FMX)
We keep renewing the licenses in order to get a better/stable version that fixes some specific bugs that hunt us, only to discover that new bugs plague the new version. So, next year we have to upgrade again.

GREAT MARKETING GIMMICK!

On 11/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, Vandrovnik said:

I welcome multi-line strings.

Are you kiding me? Pay thousands of $ to get all those tiny featues? Especially that some of them (like multi line strigs or colored lines between begin/end) were already availalbe since 100 years ago via IDE plugins.

49 minutes ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

some of them (like multi line strings or colored lines between begin/end) were already availalbe since 100 years ago via IDE plugins.

Which plugin provided multiline strings? Or are you talking about the property editor for multipline strings?