ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

1 minute ago, Angus Robertson said:

Indeed, I thought I'd changed the package suffix to 29, but somehow the change got lost, and so D12 packages were built with suffix 28 which D11 then found due to so many different paths searched, and crashed the IDE on start-up.  

Ahh... that is a slightly different case... but, yes, it can be a nightmarish scenario.  I had some of my own libraries with messed extensions and it took me a while to realize what is wrong.

Just set it to auto in de Project options for the package: Lib suffix: $(Auto)

Thanks, did not know that, there should really be an Auto Suffix tick box, so it's self documenting.

Angus

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Has anybody watched the Webinar?

I did. First half of it or so was focused on C++, showing off Visual Assist integration. Not relevant to me, but the Find Related feature is enviable and it would be nice to see the same for Delphi.

The section on what's new for VCL and FMX seemed short by comparison and there was a lot of "I can't go into details about this in the time we have."

Personally I think it would have made sense to break out the C++ stuff into another webinar.

My honest impression for the Delphi side of things is that you can read the release notes and get the same benefit in a lot less time than watching the webinar, but it's still nice to see some of it demonstrated. I'm sure they will eventually post it to YouTube.

Edited by Brandon Staggs
  • Like 4

On 11/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, Roger Cigol said:

And if you ARE using C++ builder version 12.0 does not quite deliver as much as you'd think. The much anticipated new tool chain is only present if a very limited "preview" form.

Actually, having said this before the webinar, I feel I should correct myself: the Visual Assist (including basic refactoring) looks like a HUGE step forward.

36 minutes ago, Roger Cigol said:

Actually, having said this before the webinar, I feel I should correct myself: the Visual Assist (including basic refactoring) looks like a HUGE step forward.

It does indeed. But I do find it a little hard to get excited by festures that other tools have had for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Staggs said:

I did. First half of it or so was focused on C++, showing off Visual Assist integration. Not relevant to me, but the Find Related feature is enviable and it would be nice to see the same for Delphi.

Hm, I remember hearing about the "Find related" stuff at the Forentage, but unfortunately I forgot what it does (I'm not a C++ programmer either). Care to refresh my memory?

For me, getting 12 installed has become frustrating. I just learned my registration limit has been reached. I now know that the limit is two. 

But what I wanted to mention is that the link(s) in the installations 'product registration' dialogbox (located at the bottom left corner) do not work. Actually, all the links in that dialog box do not work. When it opens my browser, I get "Hmmm... can't reach this page.  Make sure you've got the right web address: http://www.embarcadero.com" and make a suggestion that I search Bing!

Now, I will have to wait until next Monday to bump my registration because my rep(s) never answer email after 5 or 6pm.  And when they do, its another 24 hours of waiting.  Since my subscription runs out today, 11/10/2023, I will not be able to install 12 after all. Oh well. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, Anders Melander said:

the damage is done. I just hope they now stick with the sequential numbering

After switching to major versions at 11, we now have 12 but will they skip 13 or not?

5 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

After switching to major versions at 11, we now have 12 but will they skip 13 or not?

You can bet they will. They always did wherever that number was about to turn up anywhere.

5 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

GTX SpeedStar F1, code name "Dawn", will make great name.

As for the patches, numbers are something from different millennia, better something like AfterDawn or Breakfast, BroLaunch, "MorningCoffee The First of its Name"...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kas Ob. said:

GTX SpeedStar F1, code name "Dawn", will make great name.

As for the patches, numbers are something from different millennia, better something like AfterDawn or Breakfast, BroLaunch, "MorningCoffee The First of its Name"...

Don't give them any ideas ...

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, John van de Waeter said:

No Mobile? I have Android and iOS since the beginning, as well as a subscription... I did check iOS and Android in the features panel, but they don't appear as a target OS...
My "keys" on My.Embarcadero.com don't mention "mobile" either....  glitch?

Not sure where you looked at, but for Delphi Android and iOS are supported. For Android the SDK 33 requirement is fullfilled with 12.0 now.
If you should be a C++ Builder developer things would look differently, but since this is a Delphi forum I doubt you are one... 😉

On 11/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, Anders Melander said:

No, but making a Delphi 12 preview available most likely would have solved it.

These closed betas are a ridiculously out-of-date way of doing things.

Well, paying subscription users usually get an invitation to the beta as well nowadays afaik.

On 11/10/2023 at 11:20 AM, mvanrijnen said:

Yes, they should turn it around, first release the CE as a preview,,  get the community to work for you, they will if you provide them a free IDE.

Go more to a system as MS does, you need to have a payed license if you have $xxx  in annual revenue.......

The issue is: CE is such a system. You are only allowed up to a certain $$$$ you make a year. But EMBT isn't MS which has more revenue streams and thus can better stay profitable even if a number of persons misuse the free version as replacement for the paid one. That's also the reason why CE only is being released months after a new major release.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, Angus Robertson said:

Thanks, did not know that, there should really be an Auto Suffix tick box, so it's self documenting.

Angus

This one only exists since 10.4 or 11.x or so...

I saw the auto suffix is available in a drop down list, but you have to click a button to find it, I would have designed it with a tick box, so it is obvious.

Angus

On 11/8/2023 at 10:26 PM, JohnLM said:

Okay, I stand corrected.  I found a link (for 'bug report') below, but it does not cover all versions, not that I need every single one. 

You can use QualityPortal to find info about bugs being fixed

39 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

I would have designed it with a tick box, so it is obvious.

So, file a feature request...

7 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

You can bet they will. They always did wherever that number was about to turn up anywhere.

That "joke" is getting a bit old, to say the least. Maybe it's time to evolve and not do that for once.

6 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

That "joke" is getting a bit old, to say the least. Maybe it's time to evolve and not do that for once.

I'm not sure it is a joke. Even today there are so many people with superstitions around, that releasing a version containing the number 13 might actually cost them some customers. I even have the impression this part of the population is growing rather than shrinking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Even today there are so many people with superstitions around, that releasing a version containing the number 13 might actually cost them some customers. I even have the impression this part of the population is growing rather than shrinking.

I wish you would change your screen name; If you calculate the Scrabble value of it, using French Scrabble, you get... 26 which, as everyone knows, is twice as unlucky.

If losing customers due to superstition really is that big of a problem they should just give up and go do something else.

2 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

At least in 13 they would have an excuse for poor quality :classic_tongue:

It's one of my goals to release a version 13 of my software, which is currently at 11.4. I'd be able to retire then!! 

• Haha 3