Keesver

FYI - Several Embarcadero services are currently unavailable

Just now, Lars Fosdal said:

What is that supposed to mean?

Tried to be funny for god sake, i don't remember seeing such smile !

Well, it implied that Daniel did something wrong.  I fail to see the humor.

Since GetIt is still down, fortunately I was able to download my component from GitHub. That saved my butt.

How to reinstall Help system from the ISO? I didn't installed it on the first time and I'd want to avoid that my customization will be overwritten by a bran new installation (again!).

6 minutes ago, ginnix said:

Why is it taking so long to get this working?

That is indeed a good question.

2 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

How to reinstall Help system from the ISO?

If you did not install from the ISO in the first place or have already changed to online mode before, open a command prompt in the Delphi bin folder and execute 

getitcmd c=useoffline

You can as well change the SeviceKind setting to Offline in the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\23.0\CatalogRepository (for Delphi 12). There you can specify the path to the gof file from the ISO under ServicePath.

Up to here, all this is to tell the Feature Manager where to look for the installation files. 

Then start the IDE and select Tools - Manage Features. There you can select Help and install it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 1/19/2024 at 6:33 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

@gioma I have both D11 and D12 installed. With the Parnassus plugins in both.

You cannot share visual source code between the two versions. If you open your projects in D12 and save the changes, the forms (as well as other visual design components) can have added properties, which will not work with D11.  This is not news. It has always been like this between major versions. 

That the GetIt servers are down is a problem for everybody, and not something this user forum can solve.

In fact, this is not my problem.
Delphi 11 has permanently "broken" since I also installed Delphi 12.
Moving to Delphi 12 is MANDATORY because Embarcadero has completely abandoned Delphi 11 with all its bugs.
I REPEAT: The problem with Delphi 11 is that the more you use it, the more it corrupts, until it becomes almost unusable!
For a development team having to move from Delphi 11 to Delphi 12 is risky as you don't know what other issues may emerge that can make your application unstable.
Without forgetting the fact that it is also expensive, as all third-party components must be repurchased.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, gioma said:

I have multiple Delphi version installed and working on my machine, including Delphi 11 and 12. They all work fine. Installing new version didn't break my old versions. So the question is what you have done to have your Delphi 12 installation break Delphi 11 installation?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, gioma said:

In fact, this is not my problem.
Moving to Delphi 12 is MANDATORY because Embarcadero has completely abandoned Delphi 11 with all its bugs.
I REPEAT: The problem with Delphi 11 is that the more you use it, the more it corrupts, until it becomes almost unusable!
For a development team having to move from Delphi 11 to Delphi 12 is risky as you don't know what other issues may emerge that can make your application unstable.
Without forgetting the fact that it is also expensive, as all third-party components must be repurchased.

If this happens the cause is probably you. If you want parallel installation you must use different directories, if directories overlap some will break. Get packages can broke an installation for various reason, any installation is different from others one thing is that some packages overlap because the packages is made in a wrong way.
I have 4 installation version 7, 10.4, 11.3 and 12. All works with the only limit of some getit packages.
More packages and other packages you add to your Delphi and more attention you must put when updates. Embarcadero cannot check in anyway if your configuration is compatible with another installation.
My suggestion is to make a backup before new installation and also use backup when exporting or importing configurations and packages. You also can sandbox installations so all are isolated from others and can use same resources without altering them for other installations, but this practice is complex.

27 minutes ago, Celso Henrique said:

How long does it take to buy a new server and restore a backup?

Not very long in general. It just might not help either if the server doesn't happen to be the root of the outage.

I just did a search of the terms 'ransom' and 'ransomware' and they haven't appeared in this thread. I'm kinda surprised. 😉

You'd think that the documentation would be back up by now.

Edited by weirdo12

25 minutes ago, weirdo12 said:

I just did a search of the terms 'ransom' and 'ransomware' and they haven't appeared in this thread. I'm kinda surprised. 😉

You'd think that the documentation would be back up by now.

Probably this is the sad reality.

7 hours ago, gioma said:

I REPEAT: The problem with Delphi 11 is that the more you use it, the more it corrupts, until it becomes almost unusable!.

We upgraded to Delphi 11.2 at work a few weeks before 11.3 came out and using it ever since. We have at least 15 3rd party components installed, plus our own ones derived from those.

The only IDE error we have is the occasional “internal error” which can be avoided by using Shift-F9.

While the quality of LSP in Delphi 11 was questionable indeed I still strongly disagree with you on this. Delphi 11 really did not suffer from any other major defects.

2 hours ago, Celso Henrique said:

<Sarcasm>
Considering the pricetag on Delphi they might still be saving for it xD
</Sarcasm>

4 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

Probably this is the sad reality.

It is dead hardware. Not ransomware. I think, in many countries it is a requirement to report a Ransomware attack (in the US I think it might be the FBI or Homeland Security - I'm not sure).

It's definitely a hardware outage.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Celso Henrique said:

Servers... plural. That's the problem. If it was a single server that had gone bang, I think it would have been considerably easier. I don't know the full details, but it was a cascade of events and multiple affected servers and hardware.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Celso Henrique said:

Let's hope EMB have all the backups required. And the backups are up-to date. And the backup process has proven to be successful.

Only SPAM servers working fine...Every day receive mails from them

Edited by tgbs

42 minutes ago, Ian Barker said:

It is dead hardware. Not ransomware.

I'm still surprised it hadn't been mentioned already as a possible cause...

1 hour ago, tgbs said:

Only SPAM servers working fine...Every day receive mails from them

Well, by that I assume you mean you're getting marketing emails. Yes, they are on a different system. So are the blogs and a few other servers and services - for example QP and my.embarcadero.com download servers are working.

For the email you don't want there is always an unsubscribe link - if you click on that they will remove you from the ones you don't want - in fact it's a legal requirement in most countries that they do.

49 minutes ago, Ian Barker said:

Well, by that I assume you mean you're getting marketing emails. Yes, they are on a different system. So are the blogs and a few other servers and services - for example QP and my.embarcadero.com download servers are working.

For the email you don't want there is always an unsubscribe link - if you click on that they will remove you from the ones you don't want - in fact it's a legal requirement in most countries that they do.

I don't mind getting ad emails once a day. It's strange to me that of all the services, this is the only one that works every day without interruption. Sorry