Keesver

FYI - Several Embarcadero services are currently unavailable

I always install Delphi from ISOs, I have DVDs and CDs in a box going back to Delphi 1. 

The version I need today does not have an ISO...

Angus

9 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

The version I need today does not have an ISO...

Are you talking about the Community Edition? That would be the only one I know of available to the public without an ISO.

17 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

... and the Quality Portal is in read-only mode...

The fact this issue is still ongoing is unbelievable. Unfortunately prior to the issues I ported as in totally rewrote an app in development from .Net Maui across to FMX and I am using the new to me IBlite due to issues on Android with SQLIte. Given the lack of any in depth details of IBLite's SQL as 99% of the links from my google searches I am seeing returned point to docwiki it looks like I will have to revert to SQLite to complete the app ( now in beta testing ). Not impressed at all. 

update:  worked out the IBLite syntax issue I was having but still not impressed with the ongoing outage and lack of priority. 

Edited by Gordon Kenyon

5 minutes ago, Gordon Kenyon said:

issues on Android with SQLIte

Which ones are these?

1 minute ago, Dave Nottage said:

Which ones are these?

I see I could have been clearer - memory issues with Android occurred using .Net Maui so when I rewrote the app using Delphi I decided to go with the native to Delphi database thinking that would be very advantageous and if the SQLite issues were not just Microsoft based then the issue would still be resolved besides I like learning however when the vast majority of pertinent information to programming relating to Delphi - Interbase is contained within a system that is not available... 

10 hours ago, ginnix said:

So, it has been down now for 2 weeks?  

Yup 😢

Here's a thought.

What impact, if any, has this outage had on the next update to D12??

My problem is, I went to install C++ and it uninstalled my Android then it could not connect to the server.

Also, C++ never installed since it could not connect to the servers.

This happened about a week ago when the servers were down which I did not know about.

How do I install the android runtime? If I use the ISO it wants to uninstall everything.

My original install was using the web version.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

What impact, if any, has this outage had on the next update to D12??

It may be delayed, but not necessarily. The development systems should be functional even without these servers.

I am curious how it will affect the development; will the next version accordingly also be released later?

I just want to emphasize that the DocWiki is not only back again, but also seems to be pretty fast and stable now.

• Like 1

New to Delphi - just installed Community Edition Delphi 11 wanting to try Delphi development...

And after an hour of Googling have come up to speed with the embarrassing server situation...

Does this mean that I have no recourse to try CE until they figure out how to get the GetIt server back?

Currently, I can't select a Platform, which means File > New shows no forms, nothing, except Other and Customize...

Not a great start to a Delphi experience! :(

34 minutes ago, AKE2000 said:

Not a great start to a Delphi experience! 😞

It's not like they did it on purpose.

10 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

It's not like they did it on purpose.

yes, of course they did not.  :)

My comment was from the perspective of an experienced programming looking to give Delphi in 2024 a try this weekend - it's not been a great start to the Delphi experience.

I take it from your reply that for now there is no known workaround for Community Edition to function, even if in a limited way?

Thanks Uwe.

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

As a short time workaround you can use the Trial installed from the ISO. A link for that as well as other information can be found in this blog post: Some Embarcadero Servers Are Experiencing A Hardware Outage

Thanks a lot for the ISO link to RAD Studio 12.  Tried it but gave up as it is a 7.1GB download...!

As I don't have legacy commitment in the form of a lot of Delphi code already, I've opted to go this route:

>> Lazarus 3.0 IDE (204MB):  https://www.lazarus-ide.org/ with FreePascal https://www.freepascal.org/ as the backend compiler.

So far looks pretty clean, has the advantage of being free, and therefore no hooks for the compiler to have to talk to a commercial server that seems to be a recurring single-point-of-failure (2022 and now again in 2024).

I will check next month if Lazarus does not provide the desired delight!  

Thanks again for the helpful suggestion.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:46 PM, JohnLM said:

on my Win7 laptop with D11, the Learn videos portion does not come up.

On my Windows 10 VM with Delphi 12, the Learn Videos portion of the Welcome Page does come up (while GetIt is still failing):

image.thumb.png.ba76c8e029c086aff4ece0191df63355.png

To mitigate the impact of long-term server downtime, it's essential to have robust strategies in place. These strategies are not specific to any programming environment,  such as Delphi, but are general best practices in server management and IT infrastructure. Here are some key strategies:  

1. Redundancy and Failover Systems: Implement redundant server systems to ensure that if one server goes down, others can take over its workload. This can be achieved through clustering or using load-balanced server setups.  

2. Regular Backups: Ensure regular backups of all critical data. These backups should be stored off-site or in a cloud environment to prevent data loss in case of physical damage to the primary server location.  

3. Disaster Recovery Plan: Develop a comprehensive disaster recovery plan that includes detailed steps for restoring services in the event of various types of failures.  Regularly test and update this plan.  

4. Monitoring and Alerts: Use advanced monitoring tools to check the health of servers constantly. Set up alerts for any unusual activity or performance degradation so that issues can be addressed before they lead to long-term downtime.  

5. Routine Maintenance: Regularly update and maintain the servers. This includes applying security patches, updating software, and checking hardware health.  

6. Cloud-Based Solutions or Hybrid Approaches: Consider using cloud-based services or a hybrid approach, where critical infrastructure components are hosted on cloud services. This can offer higher reliability and easier scalability.  

7. Third-Party Support Services: Engage with third-party support services for critical components. They can provide expertise and additional resources during major downtimes.  

8. Diversification of Data Centers: If you're hosting your servers in data centers, don't put all your resources in one location. Utilize multiple geographically dispersed data centers to mitigate the risk of a single point of failure.  

9. Testing and Simulation of Downtime: Periodically simulate downtime scenarios to test your strategies' effectiveness and your team's preparedness.

10. Documentation and Training: Ensure that all procedures are well-documented, and train your staff to respond effectively to different downtime scenarios.

Remember, the goal is to prevent downtime and minimize the impact when it does occur. Combining these strategies effectively can significantly reduce the risks and impacts of long-term server downtime.