sjordi

Crash when Delphi 10.n exits... again

This is a known bug, when exiting Delphi 10.3.n Rio or Delphi 10.4

GExperts creates an error.

EAccessViolation in module rtl270.bpl ... in module bds.exe

Followed by another one :

Exception EAssertionFailed in module GExpertsRS104.dll at ...
Call DeactivateFontInfo before calling this.

....SynTextDrawer.pas line 475

Since I'm installing Sydney 10.4 I realized (thanks to my VM Snapshots) that GEpxerts behaves perfectly until I install TMS FixInsight.

If I take FixInsight out, then the problem is gone.
That may be one lead to follow.

I have many TMS Components that coexist without problem with GExperts. It seems to appear only once FixInsight is installed.

Some users may have that SynTextDrawer error too without this component, but you never know.

Just my two cents

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 09.57.31.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.01.41.png

Edited by sjordi
  • Like 1

If you're sure that FixInsight is the culprit, please post it in the TMS Forums. Roman has become more active lately...

On 10.3.1 the GExperts Grep window causes crashes, when it is docked. The problem seems to be caused by VCL Styles. When the grep window is floating free, nothing bad happens. I haven't seen any correlation with FixInsight, but that doesn't mean anything.

I'm going to snapshot my full install, then remove FixInsight and see how it behaves. 
Coming back to this forum with results.

I've just installed FixInsight and it crashes the IDE on close down. Stack trace below (from another instance of the IDE).

:1d8872cd ; D:\Documents\RAD Studio\Binaries\FixInsight\FixInsight.Parser.dll
:1d8875af ; D:\Documents\RAD Studio\Binaries\FixInsight\FixInsight.Parser.dll
:1d8afb07 ; D:\Documents\RAD Studio\Binaries\FixInsight\FixInsight.Parser.dll
:1e6c524f ; D:\Documents\RAD Studio\Binaries\FixInsight\FixInsight_10_4.bpl
RTL.System.TInterfacedObject._Release
RTL.System._IntfClear(???)
:500683eb @IntfClear + $13
RTL.System._FinalizeRecord($1BB58B98,???)
RTL.System._FinalizeArray($1BB58B98,$20867028,1)
RTL.System._Dispose(???,???)

I'll report this later on tonight - need food first.

Hi,

In my case FixInsight is throwing an error on IDE splashscreen (plus many time within the IDE, and when closing the IDE

image.png.82d08d1779692224a6555eb0c11668b5.png

Looks like GExperts and FixInsign doesn't like each others 🙂

ps2: FixInsight does not crash on 10.3.3 (where GExperts is also installed).

Regards

Stephane

Edited by Stéphane Wierzbicki

I do not have GExperts installed (yet) but I do have a number of my own plug-ins installed none of which have crash the IDE since I started using 10.4.

I have GExperts (built from latest svn) and fix insight, seeing shutdown issues since installing fixinsight yesterday. Also seeing the occasional issue with GExperts.. but I'm going to blame the IDE because even without these two plugins, it's buggy as hell!

Since I have no idea which functionality of the IDE FixInsight might hook (or even which events or maybe what else it might in stall), I have no idea where to look. I know that there are still some issues with GExperts crashing when exiting the IDE but none of them so far was reproducible enough to track down the issue. And as David Heffernan said: It could be anything. There aren't many safe guards inside the IDE to separate itself from plugins and plugins from each other.

Just curious - will changing the loading order of the plugins have any effect?

I see from the response to Vincent's post in the TMS forums that Roman is already working on this issue in FixInsight.

Mmmh in my case, it's not FixInsight that crashes.
It's Gexperts that crashes. If I don't have FixInsight, Gexperts closes gracefully when the IDE exits.

So FixInsight, like other components or tools, is probably changing something in the IDE that, as a side effect, makes GExperts crash

What is funny is that it states "Call DeactivateFontsInfo before calling this" for SynTextDrawer.pas line 475

Did someone try this?

This is an assertion message in synedit. It only happens if there was another exception before that which prevents that call.

Edited by dummzeuch

Ok no hand over that then 😞 
Thanks for the clarification.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:29 AM, sjordi said:

TMS FixInsight

I find Pascal Expert particularly useful:

https://www.peganza.com/products_pex.html

https://www.peganza.com/find-bugs-early-with-pascal-expert.html

It has a very large set of configurable reports about your code health and code quality. I consider it the "medical doctor and therapist of trust" for my code.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Installed it in 10.4.1 at the very beginning of the full reinstall.

Displayed the SynEdit crash error message.

Then when everything was installed, all 3rd parties, I installed the latest GExperts DLL that has been recompiled in 10.4.1 and now no more crashes.

Works flawlessly...

So I suspect that the next time I'll install everything and GExperts only at the end so it's taking over all other DLLs, and nothing else can screw with it...

Just a guess...

On 7/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, sjordi said:

What is funny is that it states "Call DeactivateFontsInfo before calling this" for SynTextDrawer.pas line 475

Did someone try this?

DeactivateFontsInfo is not present in any code on my system, whether in GExperts source or SynEdit source.

And the shutdown error is present in 10.2.3, as well.

Uninstall/reinstall after all else is in makes no difference. As to FixInsight, the last release was 1 June 2020, and the issue is still present.

Edited by Bill Meyer

I actually found a workaround to let GExperts exit without problem: I install it first before all other FMX, VCL tools right after a clean RADStudio install.

If I install it afterwards it always crashes when exiting.

Probably one of the 3rd party components screws one of the DLLs and locks it. GExpert doesn't install its own.

I have the feeling that the DLL causing problem is locked when GExpert is installed first and stays locked during the entire process, never replaced by anything else, thus saving GExperts 🙂 

Don't know...

1 hour ago, sjordi said:

I actually found a workaround to let GExperts exit without problem: I install it first before all other FMX, VCL tools right after a clean RADStudio install.

I'll pass, but keep it in mind for the next time I have to start fresh. Too high a price just to lose that error.

If the order is important, it's not the order of installation but the order loading the plugins. So disabling all of them and then enabling them in the desired order should do the trick.