Lars Fosdal

The Delphi 11.2 release thread

So, I have to say that killing LSP helps, but not always. What me bothers a lot - is that LSP behavior depends of UI actions - open/close a library unit, switch between opened files in the code editor. It seems to me insane. After killing LSP the first Ctrl+Click on a library type identifier never works. Clicking again on the same identifier - may work fine.

Also, I've never seen that Ctrl+Click on an "inherited" keyword worked, despite the fact that this was promoted as a new IDE feature.

Edited by balabuev

Using the language server from v11.1 in v11.2 works fine. It may require a bit of work. But if you have a VM or an old unused laptop - install v11.1 and copy the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\bin\DelphiLSP.exe" to the 11.2 installation.

Help insight wont work, but everything else does. It may take a while for Embarcadero to fix the LSP issue, so it really is worth the trouble...  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, balabuev said:

So, I have to say that killing LSP helps, but not always. What me bothers a lot - is that LSP behavior depends of UI actions - open/close a library unit, switch between opened files in the code editor. It seems to me insane. After killing LSP the first Ctrl+Click on a library type identifier never works. Clicking again on the same identifier - may work fine.

It seems we need a periodic LSP killer implemented as IDE expert 🙂

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

On 10/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, Fons N said:

It should not be that difficult for Embarcadero to create an example.

If it is not that difficult, why don't you create such an example yourself and attach it to a bug report with all necessary steps? That would at least match the workflow Embarcadero is used to.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:46 AM, balabuev said:

fter killing LSP the first Ctrl+Click on a library type identifier never works. Clicking again on the same identifier - may work fine.

What I find frustrating about this is that when CTRL+Click doesn't work, often CTRL+G on the same symbol DOES work. Are the code paths really that divergent? 

11 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

What I find frustrating about this is that when CTRL+Click doesn't work, often CTRL+G on the same symbol DOES work

Ctrl+G is also quite limited. Not work for stuff from library files, not work for unit names in "uses" clause.

As far as my usage context is concerned, version 11.2 is a big step up from 10.4. I'm switching from one to the other working on two different projects and 10.4 is truly absolute crap in terms of stability. 11.2 isn't perfect but it has improved a lot of things. In my case when LSP no longer works, now in 11.2 it is always a solution to switch from debug / release or from win32 / win64 (for me these workarounds don't work in 10.4 and the only solution remain close/reopen IDE).

I've been using 11.2 for several weeks now and the IDE has crashed only a couple of times (a strange Access Violation and one internal error). For me it is a dream to be able to work even for 4 hours straight without crashing! When I come back to 10.4 I have to close and reopen the IDE at least once every 15 minutes and the LSP is totally unusable...

7 minutes ago, Davide Angeli said:

When I come back to 10.4 I have to close and reopen the IDE at least once every 15 minutes and the LSP is totally unusable...

I cannot agree with that. Moreover, 10.4 has a way to disable LSP in favor of old code insight engine.

13 minutes ago, balabuev said:

I cannot agree with that. Moreover, 10.4 has a way to disable LSP in favor of old code insight engine.

LSP is the minor problem of 10.4, you can also disable it if you want. The fact of closing the IDE every 15 minutes, in my case, is due to the continuous internal errors, access violations in dcc32 and so on that were fixed in 11.2.

7 minutes ago, Davide Angeli said:

The fact of closing the IDE every 15 minutes

I do not experience this issue. Not with D10.4, not with D11. So, from my point of view, both version work approximately the same in this aspect.

On my side the IDE 11.2 with latest patch hangs minimum 1-2 times per day, without the possibility to save changes.

That means, all changes since last saving are lost! This is crazy because Delphi was not for free.

I try to click to "Save All" every x minutes but mostly if I forgot this for some minutes because of a big project ... work of >30 minutes gets lost and I have to start from scratch.

2 hours ago, Davide Angeli said:

When I come back to 10.4 I have to close and reopen the IDE at least once every 15 minutes and the LSP is totally unusable...

Uwe Raabe had shown a proposal howto Kill LSP in the German DP, maybe that is more convenient.

11.2 is a nightmare - prior to LSP the worst was that ctrl+click did not work. Now, most of the time nothing at all works because LSP dies all the time.

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 2

In my case 10.4 was terrible, fortunately 11.2 seems working well (I'm using only VCL win32 & win64).

At the moment, I've not installed the patch 1.0 because after several years of frustration I've finally a stable environment and I'm terrified of breaking it again!

46 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

11.2 is a nightmare - prior to LSP the worst was that ctrl+click did not work. Now, most of the time nothing at all works because LSP dies all the time.

Same here.  11.1 was better I think with respect to LSP.

I copy-pasted LSP from 11.1 as has been suggested above (fortunately, I have 11.1 installed on VM).

Well I am just glad, that my applications seem to be barely more complex than "Hello World" because I really have none of these issues. But then again I use no inline variables, bpl, dll, 3rd party frameworks or language enhancements or any other new agey stuff I'm not able to wrap my head around anyway. Just plain old Delphi plus generics. And that works really good.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, balabuev said:

I copy-pasted LSP from 11.1 as has been suggested above (fortunately, I have 11.1 installed on VM).

With this procedure of replacing lsp, did you no longer need to finalize its process?
I have big project and lsp crashes constantly in delphi 11.2
had to go back to delphi rio 10.3 and use cnpak for better typing

Edited by gss200610

15 minutes ago, balabuev said:

Hum. Ajudou até certo ponto.

I'd better stick with 10.3, with cnpak I don't have autocomplete errors.

having to switch from release to debug every 5 minutes is too much

no needs big projects... just a little baby "hello world" it's enough!

For whatever reason, not specific, the LSP (and consequently, "Code Completion", stop! So, it is necessary to close and open the project! Sometimes, a simple variable assignment with the wrong type already causes the problem.
And sometimes, not very often, you can see the message in the IDE that the LSP has stopped and restarted...
Then that's it! RAD 11.2 with Patch 1, it's much of the same, and new!