ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

The ability to exclude areas from formatting is one of the many reasons why I have always used:

{(*}

GExperts Code Formatter

{*)}

an IDE with themes which you cannot remove them
an IDE that doesnt installs on Windows 7, windows server 2008 R2 
is Just Dead.
The only delphi you can work is Delphi 5, Delphi 7

They try to find great names like "Athens" i bet the next verison will be Zeus or Apollon or who knows what BS

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, mel2024 said:

is Just Dead.

Get real - extended support for both ended four years ago. The market share of Windows 7 is at around 3%

If you want to support ancient operating systems then use ancient Delphi versions.

According to you Visual Studio 2022 (Supported Operating Systems) would be just dead

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, mel2024 said:

an IDE with themes which you cannot remove them
is Just Dead.
The only delphi you can work is Delphi 5, Delphi 7

They try to find great names like "Athens" i bet the next verison will be Zeus or Apollon or who knows what BS

I think what you said is simply a meaningless criticism of Delphi.
The fact that there are themes in the IDE (or in the final product) is only a good thing.
Then the IDE must make the most of existing technology and therefore it is normal for the features of the latest operating systems to be exploited.

Then if someone wants to work with clubs and stone tablets... well he is free to do so.
Furthermore, the fact that the IDE only runs on Windows 10 or Windows 11 does not limit the development of applications that run on Windows 7 or Windows Server (or on Mac, Linux, Android)

And although you say that the IDE is too far ahead, some would like it to be even further ahead and therefore with more stringent features.

It's really funny to see how there are exactly opposite positions: someone would already like to think about 128 bits and someone would like to go back to 8 bits....

2 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Get real - extended support for both ended four years ago. The market share of Windows 7 is at around 3%

If you want to support ancient operating systems then use ancient Delphi versions.

According to you Visual Studio 2022 (Supported Operating Systems) would be just dead

I am real tell me then why Edge Browser is still supporting windows 32bit and windows 7???
have you got an answer?

2 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

I think what you said is simply a meaningless criticism of Delphi.
The fact that there are themes in the IDE (or in the final product) is only a good thing.
Then the IDE must make the most of existing technology and therefore it is normal for the features of the latest operating systems to be exploited.

Then if someone wants to work with clubs and stone tablets... well he is free to do so.
Furthermore, the fact that the IDE only runs on Windows 10 or Windows 11 does not limit the development of applications that run on Windows 7 or Windows Server (or on Mac, Linux, Android)

And although you say that the IDE is too far ahead, some would like it to be even further ahead and therefore with more stringent features.

It's really funny to see how there are exactly opposite positions: someone would already like to think about 128 bits and someone would like to go back to 8 bits....

is like the new version of Notepad to Run only in windows 10 and windows 11.
There are still people who like the job to be done and they dont like "laguages" and "IDEs" like Photoshop.
and yea i still can do anything i like with D7 and D5 which has no Themes.

2 hours ago, mel2024 said:

There are still people who like the job to be done and they dont like "laguages" and "IDEs" like Photoshop.
and yea i still can do anything i like with D7 and D5 which has no Themes.

"anything i like " ... for those who work it is not enough, it should be "anything I must do" and I would like to challenge you to develop a 64 bit application with Delphi 7 or perhaps an app for Linux or Android.
And let's forget about all the concepts of security or anything else.

It's true that frills are often not needed, but you just need to set up your environment to make you work at ease.
However, everyone is free to work as they wish, and fortunately developments continue regardless of certain opinions.

I don't think the fact that the new IDE doesn't run under Windows 7 or Windows 95 where Delphi 7 runs is such a serious problem.

Any professional working with tools to bring home pay needs the right tools, and many times these tools need to be updated (and after 22 years of Delphi 7 and 15 years of Windows 7 ..... may be it's the right time).

• Like 3

I am real tell me then why Edge Browser is still supporting windows 32bit and windows 7???
have you got an answer?

Check your facts, please

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-supported-operating-systems#supported-operating-systems-for-microsoft-edge

Fun fact: that already is the case (it even only runs on Windows 11 21H2 or later) - see https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9MSMLRH6LZF3

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, mel2024 said:

have you got an answer?

Because Win7 is the upgrade of XP on kiosks and built-in devices. If even say ATMs.

9 hours ago, aehimself said:

Because Win7 is the upgrade of XP on kiosks and built-in devices. If even say ATMs.

You are right.
Windows 7, as was the case with Windows 98 SE, have made their way into the industrial world (and also services) and precisely for this situation they have not been completely abandoned.
The new Delphi 12 environment, as already mentioned, can still compile executables that run under Windows 7, but that doesn't mean we have to stop there.
The IDE policy on all current and past systems is typical of Lazarus/FPC. But it still has its limitations, which may be fine for one group of users, but certainly not for others (and I am among the latter).
As the latest rumor, more or less accredited, it seems that (* NOTE) Microsoft will abandon WOW64 technology (emulation for 32-bit applications). The transition will be gradual but inexorable. It has already started with Servers, where WOW64 is optional.

(*NOTE): This is a personal evaluation and has nothing to do with Microsoft's statements.

Edited by DelphiUdIT
Update the note

43 minutes ago, DelphiUdIT said:

The new Delphi 12 environment, as already mentioned, can still compile executables that run under Windows 7

I am even able to compile for industrial Windows XP systems with Delphi 12. Of course one is limited in which features can be used and which cannot, but that would be even more restricted when working with Delphi 7 or Delphi 5. I would rather drop these kind of projects than even think about using such an old Delphi version.

Actually I have just one project that is bound to Delphi 2007 in the moment. As long as it is dormant it can stay that way, but I would try to convince the customer to port it to a newer Delphi version once it is going to be resurrected. Otherwise I have to adjust my hourly rate to cover up for the additional stresses and strain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

As the latest rumor, more or less accredited, it seems that Microsoft will abandon WOW64 technology (emulation for 32-bit applications). The transition will be gradual but inexorable. It has already started with Servers, where WOW64 is optional.

The chance of desktop or server support for 32-bit Windows applications being abandoned is close to zero. Support for running 16-bit Win16 applications on the desktop only went away with Windows 11 and is currently still supported under Windows 10 32-bit edition. Any attempt will mean delayed Windows upgrades until it is restored. 

I saw the same thing with support for Xenix 286 binaries in SCO OpenServer- they kept dropping support only to add it back to capture customers who wanted a new server + OS to run old line of bussiness applications. Such applications can have incredibly long lives and healthy budgets to keep them running on supported servers by upgrading hardware and operating systems. Windows has accumulated many such applications.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

As the latest rumor, more or less accredited, it seems that Microsoft will abandon WOW64 technology (emulation for 32-bit applications). The transition will be gradual but inexorable.

Please provide a source or analysis of this. This seems unlikely in the extreme

53 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

Please provide a source or analysis of this. This seems unlikely in the extreme

I don't have any source that I can report, only chats and some information from unofficial sources. But the optional WOW64 in Windows Server configuration is surely a start.

Of course, like @Brian Evans said this path is not clear.

10 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

I don't have any source that I can report, only chats and some information from unofficial sources. But the optional WOW64 in Windows Server configuration is surely a start.

Of course, like @Brian Evans said this path is not clear.

WOW64 was an optional component starting with Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core which came out over 14 years ago.