Darian Miller

RAD Studio 11 Alexandria is now available

I also couldn't install Delphi 11, the Advanced -> Update trick didn't work - Alexandria is not being added to the list, although I have active subscription.

Based on previous experiences, I used the 10.4.2 LicenseManager to remove all the licenses, then re-registered during installation of Alexandria.

Both 11 and 10.4.2 had a valid license after that. But, YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Didn't work either. I've removed all licenses using 10.4.2 License Manager, started Delphi 11 setup, added the serial - Alexandria is now in the list.

Then I press Register, enter the login information - License Error, etc.

EMB created a great mess!

it looks that embarcadero fired all programmers ... it shouldn't be called 11 but maybe 10.4 patch 5 what about something useful for programmers, like code profiler, usable debugger, usable code navigation, code refactoring, and so on  ... where are features from roadmap like language extensions?

how desperate they had to be when you see "Rich Edit component update removes XP dependencies " in the changelog

Edited by DPStano
  • Like 3

I've been trying to install Delphi 11 without luck (using the different methods posted) until I tried to install in the test machine where the Olympus Beta was installed, and it worked!

So, I installed in my production machine the Key for the Beta, and then used the update button to update the license. This let me install Rad Studio 11.0 without problems. Maybe it helps someone else.

Sergio

• Thanks 1

Well, after installing Delphi 11, has taken the license from the beta... so, this method is not working at all...

Sergio

I deleted all D11 then used the License Manager in my D10.4.2 to delete the D11 Beta license.

Then installed D11 without issue.

2 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Africa, Egypt.

There was the largest library in ancient world.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 🙂 

I had Delphi 11 installed on my build server with the beta key. After updating the named network license on the ELC server, exporting the slip file and importing it with the license manager, I could simply remove the beta key and Delphi 11 started without any problems using the ELC server license.

(I know I could get away with no license on the build server at all unless I start the IDE itself, but this way it is less tedious)

As a Turbo Pascal user from the first hour, I am still following the development of Delphi with interest. I got out with Delphi XE and am amazed to find that people are still struggling with the same problems as they were 30+ years ago. Problems that also occur at other companies, but are completely fixed after a few weeks. Nothing gets better at "Borland".

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Borland is dead.

That is correct. But also the spirit.

Has anyone already tested, if the lsp code insight now works significantly better than before for large projects?

• Like 1

Show of hands: Who mucks up their code with thousands separators? Or would that one accountant who happens to dabble in Delphi please stand up!

Edited by Sherlock
Own mistake

You guys might want to watch the webinar replay.... They mentioned a surprising number of little tidbits like these, most of which I didn't bother to make a mental note of. 

What I was left with was they were primarily focused on the high-DPI stuff; the ARM-64 code generation; the ability to split out a separate window that can be toggled with the main window to swap the code editor and form deisgner; and a bunch of other stuff that's really of no interest to me.

Oh ... I almost forgot ... they finally updated the RichEdit VCL control to use the features Microsoft introduced about 14 years ago. So now you don't have to use whatever 3rd-party lib you bought years ago to get past basic Win XP features. (TRichView anybody?) Note: it ONLY affects VCL (b/c it's based on a Windows control). 

And there was some talk about the new web browser control. (Also Microsoft specific.)

I really hate the fact that they have their licensing set up such that if you find insufficient value to "reward" them with a license upgrade, they double the fee then double it again. 

There's not enough here to justify the cost of this upgrade to me. I get 10x the value from my TMS All-Access pass for 1/3 the renewal price. And with WebCore, you don't even need to use the Delphi IDE any more! HA! VSC Code does all you need. (Oh, there's a VSC Code plugin so you can use it to edit your Delphi code. Can't compile it. And the editor they spent a bunch of money to acquire still isn't integrated into the IDE.)

What I want to know is ... what is their Marketing Dept doing to grow and expand the market for all of this useless technology they keep creating while ignoring stuff existing developers want?

TMS is going gangbusters! Delphi's Marketing team seems to be asleep at the wheel.

There are have only been two jobs on Dice this past couple of weeks for Delphi devs and they were both back on the East Coast of USA.

The world is moving towards the web and distributed computing via SaaS resources, and Delphi seems to be just standing around getting fitted with another batch of designer clothes to look better to a shrinking audience.

Delphi has turned into the Kardashians of the software world -- it's all about the looks.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

"To anyone trying to install RAD Studio 11, there is a hiccup on license refresh: In the Product Registration window please select the Advanced button, and in the License manager select your license and use the Update button. Alexandria gets added, continue with installation."

Not working ...... But on the https://my.embarcadero.com/#registeredProduct page I can see all the licences including Delphi 11.

What to do?

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Contact their installation support?

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks. I’ve already contacted support, I just can’t wait for them to respond.

• Sad 1