ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

Hi. I'm looking for confirmation.  When I purchased 12.2 Alesandria on November 11, 2022, I was told that 11.3 would be free as part of my subscription, which runs out in a few days. And now 12.0 Athens is here and available for download in "My Downloads" and still within my subscription period. 

So my understanding was that I would be entitled to 11.3 when it was to come out, and it did, a few months after my purchase, but I did not obtain/download 11.3 because I felt it did not have features/enhancements enough to interest me in installing it.

Under "My Downloads" I see a link for ("RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Build 12.0 ISO",  7.12GB2012-11-07) I have not downloaded it because I am not sure that I am entitled to it.  If I am entitled to download it, then I will update my subscription.  So, I am asking for clarification on the download and subscription. 

The Delphi 12 release falls in your subscription, thus you are entitled to download, install and use it without any time limit. Nevertheless I recommend to renew your subscription to stay eligible for further updates.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  I am excited.  I am looking forward to finding out what features have been added/enhanced/etc.  Since I did not look at the feature list or video(s) (I don't know where it would be if one is posted) I am hoping for one in particular feature, though I doubt it will be in the 12 Athens.  So far I have two installs: a 4gb laptop with win10 and 6gb laptop with win7. I mainly use the win7 laptop for this Delphi hobby.  Both work fine with no known issues so far.  But I would like to leave what I have installed already, but install 12 Athens on a recently purchased 6gb Chuwi 10.1" Hi10 1200x1920 intel celeron N4120 (gemini lake cpu) tablet https://www.ebay.com/itm/185886279327. -  and/or possibly another new 8gb laptop 1920x1080 (icelake cpu).  

By the way, I do like the name they gave this one. 

First impressions of the installer: someone from 1990 tried to replicate the modern Visual Studio installer and failed. Looks ugly and embarrassing. Proportions are wrong, padding is wrong, looks amateur.

Let's see if Code Insight finally works as we haven't been able to upgrade since 10.3.3....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, JohnLM said:

I am looking forward to finding out what features have been added/enhanced/etc

Hi John, There's a webinar to tell you exactly this. Tomorrow (9th Nov) and also a blog summary:

Marco's blog on Athens 12

If you scroll to the end of this blog there is a link to sign up for the webinar. I will be listening/watching in....

15 hours ago, JohnLM said:

By the way, I do like the name they gave this one. 

Then please stop using it.

Referring to a release by name instead of the version number which everybody recognizes, is just confusing, and everyone, Embarcadero in particular, should just stop doing it. It's pretty annoying having to Google it when someone refers to the name instead of the version number. I haven't bothered with the names since Ivory (see what I mean?).

It's bad enough that the version number and build number haven't been in sync since marketing took over and made the numbers "hip" with D2xxx and later XE*

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

It's bad enough that the version number and build number haven't been in sync since marketing took over and made the numbers "hip" with D2xxx and later XE*

TBH IMO using years is kinda ok and a version number where the number after the dot means "update to that version". What was marketing bs was the XE numbering and then later making the 10 minor versions actually major versions - combining that with city names just made things more confusing (man, I still have to think if Tokyo or Rio was first...). Funny enough as far as I can see the IDEs in 11 and 12 don't reference the city name anywhere.

• Like 3

All these marketing people trying to generate buzz around a name. How about fixing the bugs and making the product better? Then you can call it anything you like and it will sell.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

there's not much there in my opinion.

I'm guessing all the people who have already implemented workarounds to handle HighDPI font scaling will think there's a bit too much 🙂

14 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

TBH IMO using years is kinda ok and a version number where the number after the dot means "update to that version".

Hmm. As a developer, the year tells me nothing; I can't trust that the value actually specifies the year the product was released (because: marketing) or how far there are between versions (because: D2008).

Anyway, the damage is done. I just hope they now stick with the sequential numbering.

3 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I'm guessing all the people who have already implemented workarounds to handle HighDPI font scaling will think there's a bit too much 🙂

Indeed, for me the biggest enhancement is the handling of font sizes regarding dpi changes. This eliminates a plethora of workarounds where fonts are adjusted in height, color or style and thus cannot rely on the ParentFont mechanism. 

Besides that, there are currently 15 issues I reported in Quality Portal marked fixed in this release. Not that bad.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Indeed, for me the biggest enhancement is the handling of font sizes regarding dpi changes. This eliminates a plethora of workarounds where fonts are adjusted in height, color or style and thus cannot rely on the ParentFont mechanism.

Yes, that ParentFont thing was what has kept me from making my application DPI aware. I do hope they got it right this time.

I can imagine that the 3rd party suppliers, which have to support older versions too, won't enjoy having to adapt to the new way of scaling and maintain compatibility with the old way.

7 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Besides that, there are currently 15 issues I reported in Quality Portal marked fixed in this release. Not that bad.

Yes, from the list of compiler and RTL fixes and improvements alone, this looks to be one of the better releases. Not so much in terms of new gimmicks but I don't really need those (or the bugs that come with them) anyway.

Now if I only had time to actually install it and try it out 😞

• Like 1

No Mobile? I have Android and iOS since the beginning, as well as a subscription... I did check iOS and Android in the features panel, but they don't appear as a target OS...
My "keys" on My.Embarcadero.com don't mention "mobile" either....  glitch?

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Besides that, there are currently 15 issues I reported in Quality Portal marked fixed in this release.

@Uwe RaabeUnfortunately though, your [RSP-35301] Option to design in Screen PPI but save in 96 PPI - Embarcadero Technologies is not, despite the many votes it got.  And by the way thanks for your article.  Highly recommended.

Three of my reported issues were fixed and one more is wrongly marked as fixed (https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-31137).  But I have to agree with @David Heffernan that the list of new features is rather underwhelming, if you are  not using C++ Builder.  David what do you think of the change related to floating point exceptions? 

Edited by pyscripter

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Indeed, for me the biggest enhancement is the handling of font sizes regarding dpi changes. This eliminates a plethora of workarounds

The problem is that if you maintain open source components that support many versions of Delphi, this does not eliminate anything.  It just adds another IFDEF in the code.  Having said that, it is good to see it fixed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Referring to a release by name instead of the version number which everybody recognizes, is just confusing, and everyone, Embarcadero in particular, should just stop doing it. It's pretty annoying having to Google it when someone refers to the name instead of the version number. I haven't bothered with the names since Ivory (see what I mean?).

@Anders Melander Yep. I agree.  I just didn't like the code name Yukon to be the product name and I thought that was going to be the name. But when I saw it given as Athens, I thought that was at least a better one. 

38 minutes ago, JohnLM said:

@Vandrovnik - thanks, I was wondering if there was a resource like this one.., and the rest (for previous versions) for that matter. 

You could find the answer for this quote readily by doing some research. Have you looked? 

4 hours ago, mvanrijnen said:

When will the CE release will be released?

Going by the last couple of CE releases, not for at least several months, probably after at least update 2.

• Confused 1

@ david - Yes. But the one's I've found (on google) are just random links I find and peek at but are not in a clean layout and not standard.  

And the link for the official 12.0 webpage does not list 'bug list report' or whatever its reference search naming is, during searches. 

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Main_Page

Edited by JohnLM