ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

To have the Parnassus plugins work in Delphi 12 as well as Delphi 11.3 on the same machine you need to do either of this depending on your situation:

• Before installing the Delphi 12 plugin: In folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared rename ParnassusCoreEditor.dll into ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll
  • After installing the Delphi 12 plugin: Copy the 11 version of ParnassusCoreEditor.dll from the appropriate CatalogRepository folder as ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll into the mentioned folder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

To have the Parnassus plugins work in Delphi 12 as well as Delphi 11.3 on the same machine you need to do either of this depending on your situation:

• Before installing the Delphi 12 plugin: In folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared rename ParnassusCoreEditor.dll into ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll
  • After installing the Delphi 12 plugin: Copy the 11 version of ParnassusCoreEditor.dll from the appropriate CatalogRepository folder as ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll into the mentioned folder

thanks, it solved it.
But what seems normal to you? I don't know..

10 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Please describe your impression - thanks!

The overall impression is good. I welcome multi-line strings. I'm happy about the MDI improvements, as I use MDI in one application. Finally added support for newer versions of Android. A large number of bugs fixed. Skia integration looks promising. I'm just a little worried about the changes in HDPI support, because so far with every major change in that area new bugs have come. And Windows API translation could also be helpfull.

Edited by Vandrovnik

17 minutes ago, gioma said:

But what seems normal to you?

Embarcadero knows about it and is working on an official solution.

And before someone claims that could have been found during the beta: Most of the GetIt stuff is not available during beta until almost the last day and the majority of beta testers install in a dedicated environment without any prior Delphi version present. Also, not everyone makes use of all what is available in GetIt.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

And before someone claims that could have been found during the beta: Most of the GetIt stuff is not available during beta until almost the last day and the majority of beta testers install in a dedicated environment without any prior Delphi version present. Also, not everyone makes use of all what is available in GetIt.

Maybe the problem is that the Beta testing is done on "clean" systems only ?

I had Delphi 11.3 and 12.0 installed together for a week, Parnassus only installed in 11.3, no problems.

But when I updated the license key for 12.0 yesterday, 11,3 stopped working.  So I guess Parnassus has screwed me as well.  

Parnassus only works with a subscription license key, not beta keys, which is why the problem did not show up earlier.  Annoying.

Angus

7 minutes ago, mvanrijnen said:

Maybe the problem is that the Beta testing is done on "clean" systems only ?

Most likely, yes, but there are several beta testers having a mixed version setup or even using their productive environment. As @Angus Robertson mentioned, there are other factors involved here that made this slip through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has this problem not happened before? Parnassus stuff not running with two different installed Delphi versions. At least for me it does not sound new.

• Like 1

Just now, Sherlock said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has this problem not happened before? Parnassus stuff not running with two different installed Delphi versions. At least for me it does not sound new.

but is i read it correctly how to solve this, it's just plain old DLL hell, not so difficult to solve ....

Just now, mvanrijnen said:

but is i read it correctly how to solve this, it's just plain old DLL hell, not so difficult to solve ....

yes but it shouldn't be up to us to solve it..

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

perhaps it is precisely this approach that is wrong... I read that people are not surprised by this behavior, which means that over time these mistakes have been repeated over and over again!
As I wrote in the post "Delphi 11.3 Forsaken", I don't like this policy of not releasing fixes for months and then coming out with a new version of Delphi that still carries the bugs of the previous one with new features that add new bugs..
they should concentrate their efforts on solving macroscopic bugs and then think about making a new version of Delphi, otherwise it's just a joke..

I find all this unprofessional... the world moves on, Delphi just pretends to, but still remains anchored to a way of doing things that should be extinct because it is not very functional!

7 minutes ago, gioma said:

yes but it shouldn't be up to us to solve it..

perhaps it is precisely this approach that is wrong... I read that people are not surprised by this behavior, which means that over time these mistakes have been repeated over and over again!
As I wrote in the post "Delphi 11.3 Forsaken", I don't like this policy of not releasing fixes for months and then coming out with a new version of Delphi that still carries the bugs of the previous one with new features that add new bugs..
they should concentrate their efforts on solving macroscopic bugs and then think about making a new version of Delphi, otherwise it's just a joke..

I find all this unprofessional... the world moves on, Delphi just pretends to, but still remains anchored to a way of doing things that should be extinct because it is not very functional!

I think they should also change the 

BDSCatalogRepository

BDSCatalogRepositoryAllUsers

paths, by default they do not have a version in it (at least untill 11.3), i always change these to something like "D:\Data\Delphi\Catalog\22"

(and then the same value for BDSCatalogRepository as for BDSCatalogRepositoryAllUsers)

6 minutes ago, mvanrijnen said:

by default they do not have a version in it

What makes you think so? At least in my standard installation these folders are located under c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\xx.x and c:\Users\<user>\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\xx.x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

If only there was a way to solve that problem...

8 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

What makes you think so? At least in my standard installation these folders are located under c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\xx.x and c:\Users\<user>\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\xx.x

hmz, have to take a look at that if we upgrade to D12 

6 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I don't see how downloading a VS Preview would solve that problem.

No, but making a Delphi 12 preview available most likely would have solved it.

These closed betas are a ridiculously out-of-date way of doing things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if my problem with D11.3 relates to Parnassus. 

It seems Delphi has taken a dislike to dclframviewer280.bpl built months ago, which is HtmlViewer, I added that to D12 and probably got some packages wrong.

Angus

2 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

No, but making a Delphi 12 preview available most likely would have solved it.

These closed betas are a ridiculously out-of-date way of doing things.

Yes, they should turn it around, first release the CE as a preview,,  get the community to work for you, they will if you provide them a free IDE.

Go more to a system as MS does, you need to have a payed license if you have $xxx  in annual revenue.......

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, John van de Waeter said:

No Mobile? I have Android and iOS since the beginning, as well as a subscription... I did check iOS and Android in the features panel, but they don't appear as a target OS...
My "keys" on My.Embarcadero.com don't mention "mobile" either....  glitch?

Checked again this morning on myEmbarcadero, and now "with mobile" was added to my key. I reentered  the key into the licence manager and magically Android and iOS appeared as target platforms :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

And I tough that beta testing was not a replacement from internal testing. Not only do they do lousy testing they now rely on us to find the bugs and then to top it off, they have you vote for a bug in a "lottery" kind of way in hope others do go there and take the time to real ALL those bugs and <<like>> your bug.
I do like to wait befor I install the next version, it let me read others problems. It's not every day that people are requesting luck prior to installing a software.

2 hours ago, Angus Robertson said:

Not sure if my problem with D11.3 relates to Parnassus. 

It seems Delphi has taken a dislike to dclframviewer280.bpl built months ago, which is HtmlViewer, I added that to D12 and probably got some packages wrong.

Well, 280 is a version 11, and Delphi 12 is 290 so Delphi 12 will definitely not like such bpl.

• Like 1

Well, 280 is a version 11, and Delphi 12 is 290 so Delphi 12 will definitely not like such bpl.

Indeed, I thought I'd changed the package suffix to 29, but somehow the change got lost, and so D12 packages were built with suffix 28 which D11 then found due to so many different paths searched, and crashed the IDE on start-up.  

The risk of updating old components to use new compilers before the original developers have done so, if they are still around.

Parnassus is now installed in both D11 and D12, but calls itself Yukon instead of Athens, one reason I've stopped using these names for ICS, gets very confusing.

Angus

3 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

Indeed, I thought I'd changed the package suffix to 29, but somehow the change got lost, and so D12 packages were built with suffix 28 which D11 then found due to so many different paths searched, and crashed the IDE on start-up.  

The risk of updating old components to use new compilers before the original developers have done so, if they are still around.

Parnassus is now installed in both D11 and D12, but calls itself Yukon instead of Athens, one reason I've stopped using these names for ICS, gets very confusing.

Angus

Just set it to auto in de Project options for the package:

Lib suffix: $(Auto)

image.thumb.png.c5e4b718e0b2b92daa2aa23aeeb63e84.png

Edited by mvanrijnen
  • Like 1