ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12 is available

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Because a CE license is valid for one year only. After that you have to request a new CE license which will only work with the current CE version.

But WHY 🙂 

The whole purpose of the CE licenses is to attract developers, not scare them away ?

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

It seems that the most effective incentive to use CE is: It's free.

It's free - because it's useless (because it's outdated) 😒

Edited by #ifdef

4 minutes ago, #ifdef said:

Free and useless - because it's old 😒

That really depends on the individual use case. For learning OOP with a Pascal flavor, D7 can be useful. For writing private Windows applications, that look "OK", Delphi XE2 is useful. For making money with Apps on current iOS...then any CE will be useless for several reasons.

7 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

any CE will be useless for several reasons

Any?

A fully-featured, extensible, free IDE for creating modern applications for Android, iOS, Windows, as well as web applications and cloud services.

Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition 🥲

Edited by #ifdef
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, about Delphi but... who will use it if the owner of the IDE does everything to prevent it from being used?

Edited by #ifdef
  • Like 1

Set the threshold not to $5k/year, but to $1k/year, but release all editions at the same time.

Edited by #ifdef

Ah, a loop:

Feel free to branch out of the loop with new arguments or new questions.

2 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

2022? It's useless!

It will be useless when VS 2023 will be released but for now all editions are of the same version 😉

5 minutes ago, #ifdef said:

It will be useless when VS 2023 will be released

You are not a serious person, are you?

Uselessness is not defined by the existence of some newer - unless, of course, that's your only criterion.

57 minutes ago, #ifdef said:

It's free - because it's useless (because it's outdated) 😒

I guess all the software that I've released in recent times didn't happen because I was using a useless tool. 

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, #ifdef said:

who will use it if the owner of the IDE does everything to prevent it from being used?

To be fair, if they didn't want it to be used, they could simply not make it available. So obviously, that is not what they are doing, right? 

What they are trying to do is straddle the fence between offering a free tool and taking in actual revenue to be a solvent company.

Your posts don't seem very serious but if they are meant to be serious, it seems like you think that Delphi should be like VS. What you and everyone else who has made that argument fail to take into account is that Embarcadero can't do what Microsoft does, because Microsoft is pushing a much larger ecosystem, including enterprise cloud services that dwarf any cost that Embarcadero is charging for Delphi subscriptions. The two are simply not comparable.

I do understand that most people today are freeloaders who think everything they want to use should be paid for by someone else, but Delphi is a product in and of itself to provide revenue for its owners, not a product to support a much larger ecosystem.

They can't give it away for free, and whatever "free version" they do provide can't cannibalize their actual business revenue. So it will of necessity be limited.

Edited by Brandon Staggs
  • Like 3

I think that their current policy is not aimed at attracting new users (and, as a result, expanding the community), but at retaining existing ones. And it’s a pity because new young people will choose VS precisely because it’s completely free. Embarcadero can do it too but doesn’t want to 😒

Ok, whatever 🥲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, #ifdef said:

I think that their current policy is not aimed at attracting new users (and, as a result, expanding the community), but at retaining existing ones. And it’s a pity because new young people will choose VS precisely because it’s completely free. Embarcadero can do it too but doesn’t want to 😒

Ok, whatever 🥲

You say they can do it but won't. How can they do it? Why not explain your ideas? Do you have some kind of inside information about their revenue?

Now Embarcadero may give Delphi out with a delay, but completely free, right? What prevents them from distributing without delay so that ALL users can try innovations at the same time? I mean few new people will download TRIAL Delphi when FREE VS is available.

Once again: set the threshold not at 5 thousand dollars per year, but at 1 thousand dollars per year (if you are afraid that they will use it unlicensed) but release all issues at the same time. If I need an IDE for a hobby, I'll switch to Lazarus. But I need Delphi just to keep abreast of trends and not fall out of the community, without using it for commercial purposes and without deriving any benefit. And when I need it, I’ll just apply for a license, and I won’t have to study anything after the purchase.

Edited by #ifdef

1 hour ago, #ifdef said:

so that ALL users can experience the newest showstopper bugs at the same time

Fixed. You should be grateful that the CE is released at a point where it's the least broken version you can get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

At home I am still on a very old version of Delphi. I hardly ever make money from Delphi privately and most utilities I create I give out for free to those I create it for. My best friend does make some money but not even enough to surpass the limitation of CE. He also is still on an old version of Delphi.

There are only two reasons why I have not gone over to the CE and I reckon many might see them as lame reasons;

1. The limited Source Code. I constantly go into the source code to see what is being done and I alwys go into the source code the moment I come across some strange behaviour in my applications that I do not have an explanation for. I want access to source code.

image.thumb.png.7a0f9663df1cf53bd215259cdc7b6b73.png

2. The irritating thing of having to reinstall CE after a year and being forced to use the latest CE to do that with. Like most will testify to, reinstalling is a pain. I created a custom installer for my Delphi installation. It installs Delphi, copies all required 3rd party libraries and sets up multiple registry entries. So I just run it and sit back and as soon as it is finished I am ready to go without having to do any additional setup. It makes my life so easy but it is linked to the version of Delphi it is installing. Yes, I know its a lame excuse.

But apart from that I believe CE to be quite valuable. Considering that we are part of an ecosystem that uses an IDE that by reason of its smaller community is being forced to be charged for to keep existing I would say that CE will help a lot.

I have to pay for my lunch and I do not blame others that have to make a living too. Anybody that uses Delphi and complains about the price of it and at the same time complains about CE needs to remember that free hardly ever is completely free and time is money and quality takes time. That person would probably not use Delphi if they believed other IDEs/tools to be better in anyway so if you like it pay for it or use CE. We all know the issues with the versions we have and we all know it is expensive but most of us like using Delphi ( I assume) and I surely do not wan't to use another tool.

Edited by PeaShooter_OMO
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:30 PM, DelphiUdIT said:

I have customers with dozens of machines (industrial lines) who are tired of hearing about frameworks that must be constantly updated, incompatibilities between functional blocks (effectively DLLs and third-party components) with each update, technology changes for "opportunities" of suppliers (for example instead of working with .Net 4.0 there is now .Net CORE x.x) which make many solutions adopted on old machines incompatible with the new ones.

MS finally listened to demands and now you can create self-sufficient C# apps (with all required DLLs located near the EXE). The same could be with Java, just use a starter that would set path to local JRE.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

MS finally listened to demands and now you can create self-sufficient C# apps (with all required DLLs located near the EXE). The same could be with Java, just use a starter that would set path to local JRE.

That's been possible for years

45 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

14 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

That's been possible for years

It's not so simple, if you look only at one piece of "system" yes it is very very simple, but not really if you look at global system.

I make systems where different manufacturers participate and obviously each of them has no problems with themselves. It's when everyone has to talk to each other (I mean the systems) that problems arise.
One makes versions 1, 2, 3 over time and each of these is not compatible with the rest of the world in their respective versions. It's like if you do Windows 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 and ALL third party applications have to be totally remade for each version (and not for improvements). Operating system, email, text editor, etc... all software versions are different.
And in the industrial sector this causes quite serious problems: every time something is changed the entire system must be validated again with considerable costs and resources.
Try to think if a system made a "braking control" pass off as good when in fact it isn't....

On 12/28/2023 at 11:46 AM, DelphiUdIT said:

And in the industrial sector this causes quite serious problems: every time something is changed the entire system must be validated again with considerable costs and resources.
Try to think if a system made a "braking control" pass off as good when in fact it isn't....

In Industry is very hard to think to use C# or Java which are so simple to decompilate and back to source code.