Keesver

FYI - Several Embarcadero services are currently unavailable

Several of Embarcadero's systems have been down since Friday night, including QualityPortal, DocWiki, GetIt, Blogs, etc.

It's getting ridiculous now with these servers and software shutdowns

• Like 1

They are painfully aware of it.  It is not good for their operational reputation.

• Like 1

The problem is not so much the bug/fault on the site (it happens to everyone) but the time taken to resolve it. Not serious.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Several of Embarcadero's systems have been down since Friday night, including QualityPortal, DocWiki, GetIt, Blogs, etc.

EMBT knows and they are working on it.

No ETA as of now.

Maybe if they just built the web servers with Delphi and use the Delphi philosophy, they'd work

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, PhilPlus said:

The problem is not so much the bug/fault on the site (it happens to everyone) but the time taken to resolve it. Not serious.

For me it's the lack of communication. Errors happen, but at a certain stage they should start to communicate about the error and give some advice about expected timeframe for fixing the problem, possible workarounds and so on. I really don't care (that much) how long this takes - but it would be nice to get some regular updates about the progress made.

We are now in a situation where we have to review our development environment and make it as independent as possible from the availability of Embarcadero servers. In result we have to stop using GetIt, and other services may follow.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I agree. It leaves a really bad impression - especially when it happens over and over.

• Like 2

The problem is not the monitoring. The problem is that very often it becomes a problem with these services. Is it the fault of the sysadmin or the programmer, but this service drop needs to stop

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

Maybe if they just built the web servers with Delphi and use the Delphi philosophy, they'd work

They should also ask the oracle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

FWIW, you can forget about software jokes, it is piece of hardware that died.

any proof?

Looks like some things are starting to come back online. 

QA portal working.

Registered Products Portal working.

2 hours ago, Fred Ahrens said:

For me it's the lack of communication. Errors happen, but at a certain stage they should start to communicate about the error and give some advice about expected timeframe for fixing the problem, possible workarounds and so on. I really don't care (that much) how long this takes - but it would be nice to get some regular updates about the progress made.

We are now in a situation where we have to review our development environment and make it as independent as possible from the availability of Embarcadero servers. In result we have to stop using GetIt, and other services may follow.

Hello everyone,

What disappoints me is that the individuals responsible for creating and maintaining these services are not juniors. They are experienced professionals who often give lectures on developing excellent software. I've mentioned this before: the Embarcadero team needs to take some time specifically to address these issues. It's tiresome to witness so many flaws coming from professionals who should set an example. As a friend pointed out, mistakes happen, that's normal, but not with such frequency.

It's truly disheartening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

They are able to write "How to create a real xxx App" on Facebook and send it in e-mails, why they are not able to write a short message about this outage?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

They should also ask the oracle.

They did, and Larry Ellison said to try turning the servers off and back on again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

If they're not going to have any internal redundancy then they should just move to cloud servers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

No idea whether or not this is true. However, there's this really recent tech called virtualisation that allows you to be resilient to hardware failures. I definitely think it has a lot of potential for the future. 

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Well, the blogs were affected too...

OMG! The blogs! They should get the highest priority, not those totally unimportant other services. 😉

Most of the people who blog for Embarcadero have an account right here and on the all important messaging service formerly known as - uh, I forgot the name, something to do with birds or was it mammoths? If they wanted to (and were allowed to), they could find ways to communicate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

... recent tech called virtualisation ...

That fad will never be of any importance. As well as this other overhyped thingy called "internet".