Keesver

FYI - Several Embarcadero services are currently unavailable

10 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

To mitigate the impact of long-term server downtime, it's essential to have robust strategies in place. These strategies are not specific to any programming environment,  such as Delphi, but are general best practices in server management and IT infrastructure. Here are some key strategies:  

1. Redundancy and Failover Systems: Implement redundant server systems to ensure that if one server goes down, others can take over its workload. This can be achieved through clustering or using load-balanced server setups.  

2. Regular Backups: Ensure regular backups of all critical data. These backups should be stored off-site or in a cloud environment to prevent data loss in case of physical damage to the primary server location.  

3. Disaster Recovery Plan: Develop a comprehensive disaster recovery plan that includes detailed steps for restoring services in the event of various types of failures.  Regularly test and update this plan.  

4. Monitoring and Alerts: Use advanced monitoring tools to check the health of servers constantly. Set up alerts for any unusual activity or performance degradation so that issues can be addressed before they lead to long-term downtime.  

5. Routine Maintenance: Regularly update and maintain the servers. This includes applying security patches, updating software, and checking hardware health.  

6. Cloud-Based Solutions or Hybrid Approaches: Consider using cloud-based services or a hybrid approach, where critical infrastructure components are hosted on cloud services. This can offer higher reliability and easier scalability.  

7. Third-Party Support Services: Engage with third-party support services for critical components. They can provide expertise and additional resources during major downtimes.  

8. Diversification of Data Centers: If you're hosting your servers in data centers, don't put all your resources in one location. Utilize multiple geographically dispersed data centers to mitigate the risk of a single point of failure.  

9. Testing and Simulation of Downtime: Periodically simulate downtime scenarios to test your strategies' effectiveness and your team's preparedness.

10. Documentation and Training: Ensure that all procedures are well-documented, and train your staff to respond effectively to different downtime scenarios.

Remember, the goal is to prevent downtime and minimize the impact when it does occur. Combining these strategies effectively can significantly reduce the risks and impacts of long-term server downtime.

I don't think they or anyone needs advice from AI.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

I don't think they or anyone needs advice from AI.

That's why we have AI: to solve problems caused by AI.

Then we would go back to the days of BBS on dialup 🙂

• Like 1

To mitigate the impact of long-term server downtime,

Of course, all of this is dictated by available Budget and/or Risk/Impact analysis.

Edited by Ian Branch

On 1/28/2024 at 10:02 PM, JohnLM said:

Oh, goody!

On 1/28/2024 at 10:02 PM, JohnLM said:

I actually have a 300 baud modem in my vast archives of useless stuff.
I doubt I would attempt to download 7.5GB over that kind of dialup 😄 but BBSs worked, sort of.
Besides, I no longer have a landline.

41 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I wonder who has such landline these days. Our telecom switched to VoIP long ago. So I have a land network connection, but we no longer have classic telephone line.

54 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I actually have a 300 baud modem in my vast archives of useless stuff.
I doubt I would attempt to download 7.5GB over that kind of dialup 😄 but BBSs worked, sort of.

Hmm, or use floppies to copy it from a friend... About 5300 pieces of 3,5"/1,44 MB needed 😉

• Haha 1

You may have a hard time getting this amount in these days.

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

You may have a hard time getting this amount in these days.

Until recently Japan used floppy disks in large numbers for submitting some documents (floppy disks seem to have been as essential for Japan as fax machines still are for Germany), so it might not be impossible. Or, if you settle for used ones, there might still be some companies that have such amounts lying around in various drawers.

1 hour ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

I wonder who has such landline these days. Our telecom switched to VoIP long ago. So I have a land network connection, but we no longer have classic telephone line.

For phones, there are VoIP solutions, but not really common, so most of us use 4G/5G mobile phones. Even our company phones are mobile based.

Fiber or Cable for land network connections, with 5G mobile internet on the rise.

37 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Until recently Japan used floppy disks in large numbers for submitting some documents

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/29/japan_government_floppy_disks/

https://www.floppydisk.com/ has bought up large stocks of floppies for those really in need.   I used to carry boxes of 8in and 5in floppies around the world.

Angus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

We still use an old Northern Telecom phone system and have an operational fax machine on a stand alone line here at work here in Toronto. 😄

On 1/28/2024 at 11:42 AM, AKE2000 said:

New to Delphi - just installed Community Edition Delphi 11 wanting to try Delphi development...

And after an hour of Googling have come up to speed with the embarrassing server situation...

Does this mean that I have no recourse to try CE until they figure out how to get the GetIt server back?

Currently, I can't select a Platform, which means File > New shows no forms, nothing, except Other and Customize...

Not a great start to a Delphi experience! 😞

What are you talking about? My CE works perfectly, it's just GetIt that it's unreachable, but the IDE works, che compiler too. I'm currently working on my +150K code lines project with no delay.

Delphi 11 CE New.png

Edited by Silver Black

35 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

My CE works perfectly, it's just GetIt that it's unreachable, but the IDE works

Because you installed from an ISO image or before the servers went down, GetIt servers provide much of the platform installation, Delphi, C++. etc.  Had the same problem myself.

Angus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Black said:

What are you talking about? My CE works perfectly, it's just GetIt that it's unreachable, but the IDE works, che compiler too.

I love these kind of posts. Just because you don't understand the problem does not mean the problem does not exist. 

7 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I love these kind of posts. Just because you don't understand the problem does not mean the problem does not exist. 

But it's for this reason that I wanted to understand the problem, since I had a different experience I wanted to know what was he talking about, I wasn't saying I didn't believe him or that he was not telling the truth. 

I know the issue is still there, just to know how it could affect the installed IDE.

Thanks to @Angus Robertson to his kind response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Like we all never said “it works on my machine” 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silver Black said:

I know the issue is still there, just to know how it could affect the installed IDE.

It does not affect an already-installed IDE, unless you want to add/remove installed features.  But, it does affect the online installer (not the ISO installer), which uses GetIt behind the scenes to download features.  And the CE edition uses only the online installer, there is no ISO.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

Strangely, Russia also had a widespread Internet outage today (ZeroHedge reported).

Edited by PeterPanettone

embarcadero.com is just a shell front page at the minute - none of the important links work like my downloads, my customer portal  etc. and docwiki.embarcadero.com returns a 504 Gateway Time-out

1 hour ago, Vincent Parrett said:

FYI, this forum is not owned or run by embarcadero.

Is there a graphical structure diagram of the relationship between Embarcadero, Idera, and any other involved companies, including administration/ownership staff?