FPiette

Where is the link to register to the forum?

A friend ask me how to register to the forum. I check and see no link to do that!

Could you tell me how to register?

Yepp, that's the status quo. Spammers are getting really creative and until we (well, mostly @Daniel) can't find a practical solution, registration will stay closed. Sorry about that.

Some suggestions :

• Use a custom captcha when registering new users. Some forum plugins allow you to create custom questions or things like that. Don't use any version of Google recaptcha. All of them were cracked ages ago.
  • Some forums allow you to moderate the first messages of new users. This gives you some extra work but it blocks all spammers that registered manually.
  • Some forums have plugins that block new users that try to use known spammers IPs, email addresses, etc.

48 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Yepp, that's the status quo. Spammers are getting really creative and until we (well, mostly @Daniel) can't find a practical solution, registration will stay closed. Sorry about that.

Isn't a captcha a valid and easy solution?

4 hours ago, FPiette said:

Isn't a captcha a valid and easy solution?

Perhaps when you ask which image shows valid Delphi code. :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Perhaps when you ask which image shows valid Delphi code. :classic_smile:

This will result in discussions like: "That is not Delphi, it is ported C" 

How about the pro-active approach ?

image.png.8b8001194bf1a55a3ac7fa1aed2e86f6.png

This should have a huge, preventive effect against SPAM :classic_blink:

• Haha 3

Is Delphi-Praxis written in Delphi or PHP or something else ? Is it a standard product or whatever ?

46 minutes ago, FPiette said:

Is Delphi-Praxis written in Delphi or PHP or something else ? Is it a standard product or whatever ?

Hint: Powered by Invision Community.

• Thanks 1

This problem is always going to be with us. But we do need to keep the forum open. New members = new blood = new ideas. Without new members the forum has signed it's own death warrant (even if it is a slow death).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

Without new members the forum has signed it's own death warrant (even if it is a slow death).

To be "Musked" I believe it's called

• Haha 2

And registrations are open again...and spammers are back. Please be vigilant guys, and we'll try to react and delete as fast as possible.

We_Can_Do_It!_NARA_535413_-_Restoration_2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Please be vigilant guys, and we'll try to react and delete as fast as possible

Stack Overflow has a good system with casting flags where certain amount of flags automatically deletes the post. Flags are available based on reputation to prevent abuse and bad flags cause flagging suspension. Also moderators can issue manual suspension.

Because we are small forum, you could even manually give such delete flag capabilities to trusted users where you know they will not be abused and automatically delete posts even with single flag. There is enough of us to keep the site clean, the only thing needed is infrastructure that would allow that.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

There is enough of us to keep the site clean, the only thing needed is infrastructure that would allow that.

I'm volunteer.

• Like 1

Stupid question… can we integrate SpamAssassin or a similar (automatic) content checking to trigger flagging posts (posters) as spam?

34 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

chatGPT

And here I thought the chatgpt hype died down already. Got proven wrong yet again 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

There is enough of us to keep the site clean, the only thing needed is infrastructure that would allow that.

Count me in as a volunteer too, if needed.

• Like 1

I don't know the capabilities of Invision, but on XenForo it's easy to set up https://www.stopforumspam.com/ and that will kill 90% of the signups. Maybe that is already in place here? The next step would be to have all new accounts go though moderation for the first few posts so that spam is never publicly visible. XenForo also makes that easy (with automated transition from moderated to unmoderated after a set number of approved posts). I am only mentioning this in case Invision could be configured this way too.