ŁukaszDe

Delphi 12.1 is available

8 minutes ago, rudy999 said:

OK, I am able to attempt to install now, but back to the original error where installation continues and 'registering entries' and copying files to ..\Embarcadero\Studio\23.0  but fails to install bds.exe. Looking at the 23.0\bin folder - folder structure folders and files are there but NOT bds.exe?!  I see bds.* files but not that one...

Any help is appreciated

Maybe your antivirus software deletes it?

I just have Windows 11 Virus and Threat protection - and no warning or message from that system?

EMB has just put out a video discussing 12.1  

Posted (edited)

Wow, from now on, you can open the same file multiple times. That's going to be interesting.

Edited by Attila Kovacs
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Wow, from now on, you can open the same file multiple times. That's going to be interesting.

The IDE only opens the file once, regardless of how many tabs are "editing the same unit".

Designer and Code

Note: Remember, there is only one file (module or file buffer in internal terms), but multiple editor views over that file, so a change you make in one editor is always reflected in every other editor for the same file. A change made in one editor is not ‘copied’ or ‘duplicated’ or anything else: there is only one file and one content for that file, even if you have multiple editors viewing/editing that file.
Another way of saying this is that when you edit a file in one editor, that change is in the file itself, not the editor. By definition, that means that change is always present in the other editors also showing the same file.

1 minute ago, JonRobertson said:

The IDE only opens the file once, regardless of how many tabs are "editing the same unit".

I'm rather concerned about how the multiple windows will interact with older plugins and all of my stuff.

Split views which other IDEs have had for years. And bug fixes. But still no way to report bugs. 

Does this seem like value for money to anybody? 

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Wow, from now on, you can open the same file multiple times.

You have been able to do that in Delphi for 10-15 years - Just not with both editors docked.

Posted (edited)

It uninstalled my 12 update 1 version and I had to reinstall all components again 😞

Edited by softtouch

1 minute ago, Anders Melander said:

aaaaaaaand it sucks. But at least, from reading the announcement, it appears they know it sucks.

Does it ever. Removes any collaboration between users. Also, without knowing if something is already reported hard to put in the effort to create a good report or find an uncomplicated way to reproduce - no idea if the effort will be wasted.

I did not use the old one all that much but was happy to collaborate and help get the odd bug fixed. Like the dangling scrolls bars from code insight. With no collaboration not sure how that bug would ever have been fixed - reporter did not have a way to reproduce it, another person provided some insights and yet another (me in this case) was able to use that to find a way to reproduce. Then it was fixed in the next release which was nice to see.

([RSP-34111] Editor leaves dangling vertical scrollbar behind - Embarcadero Technologies

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

Removes any collaboration between users.

Yes, I fear it will.

While I haven't used it yet and there's presently nothing there, I'm really afraid this just wiped out yet another small community. Tick tock, tick tock.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

Removes any collaboration between users. Also, without knowing if something is already reported hard to put in the effort to create a good report or find an uncomplicated way to reproduce - no idea if the effort will be wasted.

Sending Reports to a black box.. sounds productive..

1 hour ago, softtouch said:

It uninstalled my 12 update 1 version and I had to reinstall all components again

Same, sure someone has reported that bug how do I watch it?

Used the web installer without issues (previous release days often had the servers overloaded) and only needed to reinstall anything installed through GetIt - other components like  NexusDB, Developer Express VCL and MMX Code Explorer did not need to be re-installed. The Linux FMX support did not uninstall completely - the 12.1 IDE still tried to load something related to FMXLinux om startup producing an error dialog. Installing FMXLinux using GetIt cleared up the error message.  

So far seems a bit quicker / cleaner working on some small VCL projects. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

Components like  NexusDB, Developer Express VCL

Used the ISO but aren't they supposed to be the same now..

I guess they will be able to say that the numbers of bugs reported is going down and claim that indicates quality has improved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

@Tommi Prami Yes, the installer barfs on restarting the installation due to Navigator, but it should be able to recover. Mine did.

Mine did not.

Restarting encountered into same dll-error, don't remember which dll it was. and did not take screnn shot etc. 😞

Coworker cant open IDE even after clean install... Freezes at the Splash Screen...

-Tee-

Edited by Tommi Prami

Web installer worked fine for me but had to do a full uninstall of TChart Pro as TeeCompile was having issues with v12 paths.

Web installer worked fine for me too. Impressive list of fixes. Worried about the future of bug tracking though.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Is this an April 1 joke?

Not really... but 

• there is a bug where new users doesn't get added to the appropriate group aka Embarcadero Customers,
    something that prevents you from seeing issues that others have posted
  • still missing a full port of issues from the old JIRA

They are working on both - but wanted to get the new Jira up and running.
Yes, it is not as good for us end users as the old one, but it is not bad either.

Check your Requests button to see if you can see the group.
That search button is non-functional. It appears to be intended for a FAQ lists (which currently doesn't exist).

image.png.6f5e4e1811c3c704fd2121331edfe13b.png

Also see @Dalija Prasnikar' notes: https://dalijap.blogspot.com/2024/04/delphi-121-new-quality-portal-released.html

Edited by Lars Fosdal
Fixed broken image
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding: "Looking at the 23.0\bin folder - folder structure folders and files are there but NOT bds.exe "

With help from Embarcadero Technical Support I was able to get the installation going with success.  A complete un install lead me to the conclusion that something I did in the past created an issue. I installed in another login user admin profile with no issues and then could use 12.1 in my 'normal' login profile.

Edited by rudy999
more info