Tom F

Bookmarks dead?

Do you think we should we just give up on ever getting an updated Bookmarks plugin (formerly from Parnassus) that works in Alexandria?

It's now two months late.

It's very clever of Embarcadero to keep these kinds of major features as optional plugins rather than integrated into the IDE. Because Embarcadero can claim they released a major update, even if some major features (like Bookmarks) aren't available.  :classic_sad:  I wouldn't treat my customers that way.

I'll omit a long rant about Embarcadero, since that's been discussed here before.

I just want my Bookmarks.  And I'm tired of checking the GetIt Package Manager for it.  I'm disappointed. And I'm concerned that these kinds of failures may reveal that Embarcadero's development processes are underfunded and broken. 

• Like 6

@David Millington

Is this plugin one that you personally still develop or has it been brought into Embarcadero development?

Any update on the plugin. As you can tell it is much loved and we are all waiting for the latest version 😄

EDIT: I can see David hasnt been on the forum for 2 months. so might be best to reach out elsewhere.

Edited by Martin Sedgewick
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 4:57 AM, Tom F said:

I just want my Bookmarks.  And I'm tired of checking the GetIt Package Manager for it.  I'm disappointed. And I'm concerned that these kinds of failures may reveal that Embarcadero's development processes are underfunded and broken. 

Ditto. At least they could tell us when and if it's expected so I could stop checking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BruceTTTT said:

Ditto. At least they could tell us when and if it's expected so I could stop checking.

Apparently it’s delayed due to high res dpi issues. It’s good that Embarcadero is having to develop it and discover the problems others have encountered with high res dpi. We might get some fixes as a result.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, hsauro said:

We might get some fixes as a result.

Marco Cantu already mentioned it DelphiCon 2021 on Tuesday that they're working both on the IDE and VCL as they discovered some issues with highDPI (without any details of course).

Edited by Lajos Juhász
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hsauro said:

Apparently it’s delayed due to high res dpi issues. It’s good that Embarcadero is having to develop it and discover the problems others have encountered with high res dpi. We might get some fixes as a result.

They didn't even fix all high DPI issues of the IDE itself. But yes, having to do that for a plug-in might show some more.

• Like 1

Getting IDE plugins support High DPI is not that difficult in the first place, just tedious. The tricky part is to keep it compatible with older Delphi versions. Most likely Embarcadero will not even consider the latter, so the effort stays manageable.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Getting IDE plugins support High DPI is not that difficult in the first place, just tedious. The tricky part is to keep it compatible with older Delphi versions. Most likely Embarcadero will not even consider the latter, so the effort stays manageable.

They can create "Bookmarks HDPI" without the compatibility with older versions, if it is easier for them...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vandrovnik said:

They can create "Bookmarks HDPI" without the compatibility with older versions, if it is easier for them...

First they have to resolve the bugs in the HDPI code in the VCL. I hope that they will resolve some issues in the update 1. 

*Can someone move the HDPI discussion into a new thread as we are discussing a bit different topic?

56 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

*Can someone move the HDPI discussion into a new thread as we are discussing a bit different topic?

Ummm. to complicated for that small stroll off of the beaten path. Let's all just try to get back on topic.

55 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Ummm. to complicated for that small stroll of the beaten path. Let's all just try to get back on topic.

Ok, at DelphiCon2021 David Millington answered that the bookmarks are coming soon, besides the HDPI issue they are working how it will be integrated in the IDE (whatever that means).

Edited by Lajos Juhász
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Getting IDE plugins support High DPI is not that difficult in the first place, just tedious.

With the "apparent" HR strategy @emba that should be an easy fix, low hanging fruit and all that...

I AM implying that emba has too many "codemonkeys" on each "architect". Flame me. Do.

It never ceases to amaze me how people in these forums can have such deep and intimate knowledge of the code of the IDE and it's plugins and libraries that they feel they have the right to highly criticize the hard-working team behind the complex and powerful development tools we use. As an independent programmer, I can set my own deadlines--and I don't release anything until I'm sure it's ready. When I worked for a large corporation, executives that have to please shareholders are the ones that set deadlines--and whatever code was ready, was released. I'm sure the Delphi team would've loved to postpone the release of D11 until it was more fully tested and all the plugins were finished to be released along with them but I'm also fairly certain they didn't have a choice and are also not allowed to voice those internal issues. Personally, I feel sorry for them and the pressure they must be under, especially when they read these posts and can't do a single thing about it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

they feel they have the right to highly criticize

You seem to think we should all be grateful for what we get and be quiet, you forget that ultimately we are all paying customers, many of us having sunk significant amounts of money into delphi over the years (not to mention staking our careers on it). As paying customers, we have a right to expect better, and to complain and criticise when it's warranted - and sadly lately with Delphi it is warranted. I've paid for way more versions of delphi than I have actually been able to use (due to quality issues - including D11).

As for the hard working team, well they are anonymous - name 5 people on the team (and I don't mean the product managers).. I'll wait....

Back in the day the dev team were on the newsgroups, interacting with their customers, now you would be hard pressed to name one of them that posts here. I have no idea if the 'team' (1 person, 5, 10? who knows) even reads these forums or if they even have any idea how their customers feels about what they are delivering. 

Some days I have to drag myself back to working on my delphi projects.. today I fired up delphi to debug a problem with FinalBuilder, the IDE crashed on the first run - not an uncommon occurance. I've used delphi since 1995, I have millions of lines of code invested in it - so I persist - but I very much doubt that potential new customers would do the same - I know I wouldn't if I were one of them.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people in these forums can have such deep and intimate knowledge of the code of the IDE and it's plugins and libraries that they feel they have the right to highly criticize the hard-working team behind the complex and powerful development tools we use.

Well, first of all, none of the libraries are closed source, every licensee may/can/should take a look at the RTL or VCL code. Furthermore there are some really smart fellows looking at that code, who develop some stuff I for one can't even begin to understand. So I'm pretty sure the comments don't come out of the blue and are not simply made to disrespect. They are heartfelt cries of pain and sorrow.

• Like 6

I guess I just have seen so many negative comments on these forums and I just had seen one too many. The Embarcadero of today is a long way from the Borland of yesterday; today's companies seem much more focused on profits than community. I remember the CompuServe days, the flame wars on newsgroups, and being able to connect directly with TeamB. Perhaps this is the last place to collectively vent. Still, it seems that comments are too often directed at programmers that don't likely have much control over their priority list. We can only hope that our frustration is heard up the chain of command.

The Bookmarks and Navigator plugins are my favorite additions to Delphi--I've blogged about it recently. I too am waiting and hoping for an update.

Where's the RestDebugger fit on your favorite additions to Delphi.  Thanks for your DelphiCon presentation on it. 

We can only assume the Booksmarks are floating off shore on container ship... Hopefully they can unship and ship by Christmas. 🙂 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pat Foley said:

Where's the RestDebugger fit on your favorite additions to Delphi

The REST Debugger is definitely convenient--especially with the Copy Components button--but it is buggy and sometimes I have to restart that as well.

I use bookmark stacks and the code mini map far more often, and in more projects, than the REST Debugger. Getting those back in the next month would make a nice Christmas present!

• Like 1

I don't  have a high resolution monitor. If I say pretty please with sugar on it, can I get the Parnassus BM add-on for my HD configuration for Christmas?

Someone should have invited David Millington or the dev at Embarcadero that is now responsible for those plugins to the Delphi 11 beta so they could have worked on those plugins at the time when many other IDE plugin devs did. /s

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 11/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, Stefan Glienke said:

Someone should have invited David Millington or the dev at Embarcadero that is now responsible for those plugins to the Delphi 11 beta so they could have worked on those plugins at the time when many other IDE plugin devs did. /s

I don't know the organization very well, but I'd be very surprised if David Millington wasn't a beta tester.